Background info - anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associates degree in Collision Repair from Pennsylvania College of Technology. I work at a local auto auction doing vehicle inspections.

Well, I graduated from Shorecrest High School in 1978.
Started my employment with the State of Washington June 4, 1979.
Had some college from '87 to '89.
Went to work for the Washington State DOT in March, 1991.
Received my Land-Surveyor-In-Training (LSIT) certificate December, 2003.
Joined BITOG on June 11, 2005 (exactly 25 years from the day Palladium Bowl closed its doors).

Bachelor of Mechanical Engineering, and been practicing now for 17 years (will get it right one day). Thesis was on fuel/air flow in manifolds, and developing a test rig for flow measurement and visualisation of direct injection petrol engines. (neat, in that I got to see Arthur Bishop's rotary valve head)

Boss wants me to get an MBA, but I don't want the other side of my brain removed.

Worked in the power industry for 19 years through a heap of materials handling and combustion, pressure pipework, hydraulics, electrostatic precipitators, ash handling etc. Currently responsible for 2,400MW of steam turbines (each one takes half a tonne of steam at 1000F and 2600psi).

Had an interesting stint when my management pimped me out to commission an MDF (medium density fibreboard) plant. That was fun...they had no lubrication schedule, and I got to build one from scratch (chain and bar lube worked well on their hundreds of chain oilers, and saved them a bomb), 5,000 litre hydraulic system contaminated with sea water, and a salesman with a timken tester, when I had access to $300 per tube high temperature/pressure greases.

Upset the german commissioning engineer when I put in a fire safety report about their gear. Customer asked me to withdraw it, and I declined. Caught fire three times since the customer accepted it.

Quote:

Currently in school, majoring in engineering; Electrical mainly.

Adam, we've got a major shortage of swamp pheasants (Electrical Engineers) down here.

Positions in the power industry range from messing around with 4-20mA signals in controls to the "power" guys who deal with 5000Amps, and 500,000 volts.

May have to look into that; I've still got awhile to go so it gives me some time to think about it. Always wanted to go to Australia.

Originally Posted By: Ferndog
Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering + 2 yrs vocational training in Auto Mechanics.
Still Certified ASE Master Auto and L1
5 years in tech service group of a major fuel/lube company
13 years at Pennzoil/Quaker State/Shell R&D
I currently lead a team of 15 people that make the fromulations for Pennzoil, Quaker State and Formula Shell passenger car motor oils.
Given my mechanical background, I also provide technical lubricant support to the professional race teams. For example, the oil used in at least 5 of the top ten NASCAR Nextel Cup season winners in 2006 was formulated and made by hand at our R&D center in Houston.

Where is Ferndog?

I'm late coming to the thread. I have a BA in History and Sociology of Science from University of Pennsylvania, but do historic renovations and rentals for my own company at a very lazy pace. H&SS and Tribology is a cool match-up.

I started tweaking my Dad's Porsches about age 9. About that time, I spent a lot of time with my Grandfather, who was a 30-year Oldsmobile mechanic and an electriction. Supposedly he was the only guy at the shop who could pull the Turbo 350 trans out by himself. He restored a '58 Olds 98 that was under flood mudwater for a week to the point my Aunt sold it 30 years later w/o even disclosing it was flodded. She let it rot with leaves building up under the trim for 10 years until I was merely allowed to try and start it, which a coat hanger ran thru the fuel line accomplished. Never was allowed to drive it.

In my teens I had Japanese cars, but no budget to service them, so it was a sink or swim dilemma. Kinda of a blur until my 30s when my very good friend owned a BOSCH Service Center, where I mastered the Black Arts.

I believe in DIY car work as a manly endevour as well as an exercize in rationality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back