Back up lights?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tried some 7 watt Cree LED's with the ba15s base in my reverse lights and did not like the results but the bulbs themselves were questionable anyway as one was dead on arrival from Asia.

I did not realize the incandescent bulbs I had been using were 1141's, rated at 264 lumens.
1156's are rated at 440 lumens
3497's are rated at 565 lumens /45 candlepower

At the moment, a viable LED solution must include a properly designed housing w/heat sink and reflector. There are no decent "drop in" LED's for back up lights.

With that in mind, there are some small, powerful, LED assemblies. Generally not cheap. Rigid brand is one that is available on e-bay.

There is a tiny, 10W called the "solstice" that is about 900 lumens. Works great for many applications.

Vision-X-Solstice-S1102-led-offroad-spot-light__53195.1325015220.1280.1280.jpg

I did this with an older pathfinder we used to pull a pop-up with. needed the extra light back then. I just put a single 55w fog lamp beneath the bumper (level with the hitch) and tied straight into the stock wiring. no relay. worked great! (55w is just another ~3 amps). (I also added an override switch so I could light them up with the vehicle off for loading/unloading-- nice, but MD state inspections did NOT like it).

I tested the current draw on my Ba-15s 7 watt "CREE" LED's. They were actually pulling 2.5 watts each.

I retasked these bulbs for interior lamps, and they flash on and off after 3 minutes. Overheating I suspect.

The 3497 incandescent bulbs are significantly brighter than the 1141 bulbs that were in my reverse lights which call for 1156's.

1156's and 3497's both draw 27 watts. I've now got them on a 10 awg wiring harness with relay, along with the rear pointing 55 watt fog lights

Originally Posted By: toneydoc
I do not think that the back up lights are there to light up your movement. I think they let others know you have vehicle in reverse.

They are intended to do both, however many vehicles are lacking from the factory, that coupled with tinted windows can turn them into nothing more than indicators for people behind you. I installed some trailer hitch mounted aux reverse lights on a truck I had in my younger days, they worked great, I still own them but I no longer have tinted windows so I don't feel they are necessary, if I were to install them on another vehicle I would relay them to take the additional load off of the factory reverse lamp circuit though.

Originally Posted By: wrcsixeight
I tried some 7 watt Cree LED's with the ba15s base in my reverse lights and did not like the results but the bulbs themselves were questionable anyway as one was dead on arrival from Asia.

I did not realize the incandescent bulbs I had been using were 1141's, rated at 264 lumens.
1156's are rated at 440 lumens
3497's are rated at 565 lumens /45 candlepower

I suggested Superbright for a reason, they provide plenty of info on pattern and output.

Back up lights are signal lights not intended or designed to light your way in reverse. In EU countries it is more typical for a vehicle to have only one reverse signal light combined with one red rear fog light. If you need to light your way in reverse a proper rear light with an independent switch is both legal and highly recommended.

Originally Posted By: rfeir
Back up lights are signal lights not intended or designed to light your way in reverse. In EU countries it is more typical for a vehicle to have only one reverse signal light combined with one red rear fog light. If you need to light your way in reverse a proper rear light with an independent switch is both legal and highly recommended.
Every SAAB, Vlovo, and VW I have owned came with two. The "fog light" could be enabled on SAABS sold here. The wiring was in place.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back