Back to work and better times

Good news, Adam! Now you can get some more used oil filters to cut!
crazy.gif

(Just kidding, glad you are OK).

Originally Posted by Donald
I have been working from home for many years and continue to do so. The only change for me is I cannot get my hair or beard trimmed. Starting to look like a mountain man.

Know what you mean Donald. Only wish some of it was on top.

Originally Posted by dlundblad
Good to hear.

I guess Indiana is waking up too. I saw something that it was just going to open, but I guess it'll be in phases too. Barber shops being at the end of the list and it'll be something like 50% capacity.

We aren't out of the woods yet though. Not sure about places where you or where you work, but Menards coming out and saying you have to wear a mask (and that somehow a bandanna is also a suitable replacement?) in order to shop at their stores is only the beginning of the extension of the hysteria I feel. I say good for them, it's their choice, but where were they 2 months ago?

I'm not sure why you feel it's hysteria. It's basically the science and the mask shortage. People are spreading it without symptoms which is the science part of it and the requirement to wear masks. There wasn't solid evidence that it was being spread by the asymptomatic, but it was a well known theory even in the beginning. But due to the shortage of masks, it wasn't really made a recommendation. The only reason the bandanna is suitable now is due to the shortage of masks. It is of course not as good, but anything is better than nothing.

Nothing about those facts leads to any theory about hysteria and that's why it wasn't made a requirement 2 months ago.

Originally Posted by 53' Stude
Anyways to summarize this post about better times and the working class and people in general going back to work; PLEASE PLEASE, NO FORBIDDEN TOPICS!!!

God bless you folks and the workers in this country
smile.gif

Didn't see your other thread but sorry to hear it got derailed. I don't post much but do lurk from time to time and agree with you 100%.

The wife and I have both been working through all this, so I'm certainly grateful for that. The irony is she's been working from home and hates it while I'm driving in to work and would prefer to work from home hahaha. Manufacturing is essential and we have many customers making medical parts, one specifically contracted to make ventilator components, as well as DoD work, some DX rated.

I really need a hair cut and got to thinking, as much as many are nervous about going out, I'm guessing the best time would be the first guy in the chair after they open since it's been sitting idle for so long with less chance of contamination. Not likely I'll get that spot, but at least that's my personal theory.

I really feel for those that have lost jobs and especially mom & pop restaurant owners. I try to support them over the chains as much as I can. Many are usually just making it and I'm guessing they'll lose money with only being able to open at 50% capacity? I guess we'll find out and I wish them all well.

Be safe out there!!

Originally Posted by TMoto
Didn't see your other thread but sorry to hear it got derailed. I don't post much but do lurk from time to time and agree with you 100%.

I really need a hair cut and got to thinking, as much as many are nervous about going out, I'm guessing the best time would be the first guy in the chair after they open since it's been sitting idle for so long with less chance of contamination. Not likely I'll get that spot, but at least that's my personal theory.

I try to post factual solid items but feel that those posts get deleted with the entire thread so that those are derailing things never really get followed up with more reasoned posts.

As for your haircut, it's not really the chair, it's the odds that the hairdresser hasn't been exposed to any customers who might have infected them being lower at the beginning.

If your theory applied at the hospital, you'd never go there. But fortunately, they clean and disinfect the place all the time.

Thanks for the kind words folks. Today was a true adventure. A mechanic from the Irwin PA repair facility that was called to drive temporarily til mechanical workload picks up drove a Ford F-150 that was sold to CORRY FORD in of course CORRY PA(Erie County)

I drove a Hyundai Kona as chase vehicle. Nice ride and very rural in parts along the trip. 2.5 hours up and back each. That's going from Pitt Airport to Corry PA

Tomorrow ill take cars to dealerships and to body shops for my boss and Thursday I'll be back working on and fixing cars. I truly love my job
08.gif
34.gif

Here's where I went to for anyone interested.
[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Adam, ignore the haters. In a paraphrase from The Four Agreements, "nothing anyone does to you is actually because of you. It's because of problems in that person." In other words, people get jacked up in life and don't let go of the hatred that formed from that experience. They then "share the love" by letting that trigger a fountain of hate on unsuspecting victims.

Not true....

A bandana is worthless....

The false idea of something better than nothing is not a valid answer... Try that out in a real biological attack circumstance.... It's all or nothing there... Try that with anthrax or vx nerve agent...

Even a legitimate ninety five mask has limitations to a degree. And it's only as good as it is fitted on and taken off properly. Proper fit is a huge factor in how well that would perform.

This is not being spread via truly airborne route.. If so then people with this would need truly negative pressure rooms..... It's droplet... Fine droplets. Thus the stranger danger six foot rule... One effective way of transmission is large droplet... Via actual coughing or sneezing... Contact is actually likely a much higher probable mode of higher transmission.

What size is the virus?? What size droplets especially fine ones are you trying to filter out?? Efficacy matters... If one can get absolute efficiency at 0.3 microns or smaller then one will actually be doing something worth while... A whooptified bandana or homemade cloth mask that is 10-30 percent efficient at 0.3 microns is wasting time and only feel good stuff.

Originally Posted by bbhero
Not true....

A bandana is worthless....

The false idea of something better than nothing is not a valid answer... Try that out in a real biological attack circumstance.... It's all or nothing there... Try that with anthrax or vx nerve agent...

Even a legitimate ninety five mask has limitations to a degree. And it's only as good as it is fitted on and taken off properly. Proper fit is a huge factor in how well that would perform.

This is not being spread via truly airborne route.. If so then people with this would need truly negative pressure rooms..... It's droplet... Fine droplets. Thus the stranger danger six foot rule... One effective way of transmission is large droplet... Via actual coughing or sneezing... Contact is actually likely a much higher probable mode of higher transmission.

What size is the virus?? What size droplets especially fine ones are you trying to filter out?? Efficacy matters... If one can get absolute efficiency at 0.3 microns or smaller then one will actually be doing something worth while... A whooptified bandana or homemade cloth mask that is 10-30 percent efficient at 0.3 microns is wasting time and only feel good stuff.

You're close, almost worthless. Not the same as worthless. I think eventually there will be a shift when masks are available and they say no bandanna. Just look at other areas like Singapore, Hong Kong, Taiwan, etc., their infection rates are lower. Everyone there also wears a mask. Of course other things like availability of tests and contract tracing add to it.

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
Adam,

Good to see you back at work and turning wrenches.

I am blessed and glad

That's why a a good fitting mask covering the mouth and nose is better than nothing. Droplets will have a much tougher time getting past a mouth/nose covering than constantly airborne particulate. If being 6+ feet away is effective, then that plus a mask is an added benefit. If people don't want to wear a mash, it's their choice, but what harm does it cause to wear one. Some places are demanding everyone wear a mask now in order to get in, and that will probably become the main standard for awhile as things open back up.

Stude ... glad you're out of the house and back at work. Stay safe and have fun.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix

That's why a a good fitting mask covering the mouth and nose is better than nothing. Droplets will have a much tougher time getting past a mouth/nose covering than constantly airborne particulate. If being 6+ feet away is effective, then that plus a mask is an added benefit. If people don't want to wear a mash, it's their choice, but what harm does it cause to wear one. Some places are demanding everyone wear a mask now in order to get in, and that will probably become the main standard for awhile as things open back up.

Stude ... glad you're out of the house and back at work. Stay safe and have fun.

Agreed, it is being considerate of others more than anything else. It doesn't hurt a thing to do so and it is a tiny inconvenience if that. I always wear masks when I go into
various businesses were there are numbers of people around, especially the grocery stores, home improvement stores, ect. I truly don't understand the anger about doing so.

However, authorities should never order people or mandate something that is not Constitutional or not legal. But please folks do the civil thing anyhow.

I have worked through all this time myself and my wife and I rarely pay attention to the things around; however, today after the work I went to my dads house and on the road to get there and on the way back home, oh boy oh boy, the traffic was cut in half or more of it; even though our state was among the first to open businesses nationwide, still you could tell that process of the restart of economy is going to be slow and painful

Originally Posted by AC1DD
However, authorities should never order people or mandate something that is not Constitutional or not legal. But please folks do the civil thing anyhow.

While I agree that things shouldn't be ordered if not constitutional or legal, I think most of them are. I just looked up the mandatory order for my state. It appears that due to the state of emergency declared, the governor has by a law previously passed, the authority to protect the health and safety of persons so he could issue the order requiring masks.

So yes, the order requiring masks appear legal, at least in my state. I suppose someone could file a challenge to it, the federal courts are still open but the state courts are closed.

Some things are advisory though, like we have a curfew, but it's only an advisory so no legal force.

Originally Posted by Wolf359
Originally Posted by AC1DD

While I agree that things shouldn't be ordered if not constitutional or legal, I think most of them are. I just looked up the mandatory order for my state. It appears that due to the state of emergency declared, the governor has by a law previously passed, the authority to protect the health and safety of persons so he could issue the order requiring masks.

So yes, the order requiring masks appear legal, at least in my state. I suppose someone could file a challenge to it, the federal courts are still open but the state courts are closed.

Some things are advisory though, like we have a curfew, but it's only an advisory so no legal force.

There is a reason why the Founding Fathers said that only certain people could live within the Constitutional Framework they created, it counted on the good character,
good sense, civility, and common good being a give among "A People". It's unfortunate we live in such a simmering divisive pot which makes things which would otherwise be good and prudent judgement a battle.

Originally Posted by Wolf359
As for your haircut, it's not really the chair, it's the odds that the hairdresser hasn't been exposed to any customers who might have infected them being lower at the beginning.

If your theory applied at the hospital, you'd never go there. But fortunately, they clean and disinfect the place all the time.

That was actually my point but maybe I wasn't clear. It's the whole package of an unused facility and a person with the least amount of contact. My comment about being the first person in the chair wasn't specifically about the chair.

Just being a patient in a hospital increases your risk regardless of the current situation, which is why they want you out as soon as possible. It reduces your risk of getting a hospital acquired infection such as MRSA.

Cheers,
T

Back