Back to Basics VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

MolaKule

Staff member
For a barrel of crude oil, what percentage of this barrel would yield a conventional Lubricant base stock after processing?

This question is NOT open to engineering disciplines, Tribologists, chemists, mathematicians, physicists, psychologists, sociologists, or savants.
shocked2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by newbe46
I like it when we have to start putting disclaimers before beginning any discussions on this board.

Not actually a disclaimer, but in this case we would like all BITOG members who are not listed above a chance to answer.

Do you have a proposed answer?

Originally Posted by newbe46
I like it when we have to start putting disclaimers before beginning any discussions on this board.

My thoughts exactly

My research says you basically heat the crude oil and collect the different fractions that boil off at different temperatures. About 1% is used for lubricants.

While I've studied engineering, chemistry, and math, I'm clueless how to calculate this.

A barrel of crude is 42 gallons.

The refining and processing yields a number of products including lubricant base oil which equals 0.5 gallon.

0.5 gallons/42 gallons = 1.2% rounded up.

JayHawkRoy and WalterJay gets the virtual BITOG Mug with the embossed
thumbsup2.gif
emoticon and 0.5 gallons of virtual full synthetic oil.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by MolaKule

The refining and processing yields a number of products including lubricant base oil which equals 0.5 gallon.

thumbsup2.gif

Yes, I understand that but is it the same for all barrels or crude? That fraction is constant barrel to barrel?

Originally Posted by Leo99
Originally Posted by MolaKule

thumbsup2.gif

Yes, I understand that but is it the same for all barrels or crude? That fraction is constant barrel to barrel?

We didn't see a numerical answer from you but this information came from the API itself.

I have to assume the yield figure they quoted is an average over many types of crude's and processes, as I think that is what you are alluding to.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back