B&S Opposed Twin oil choice

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got an 18hp Briggs opposed twin vertical shaft on a 1990 Craftsman garden tractor. The engine owners manual shows that SAE 30, 10W-30, or 10W-40 can be used for summer operation. It has about 500hrs currently. What's everybody's thought about using 15W-40 or synthetic 5/10W-30 in it? Currently I've been running conventional 10W-30 and always stays at the full mark on the dipstick between changes. Thanks

I dont think it matters a whole lot. I have been running 15w-40 rotella in my Kohler single. Those engines usually dont care. If a 10-40 can hold up, a 15w-40 will be much better.

Got a 1978 B&S 16hp Synchro Balanced twin,non lined bores,always ran 10w30 of whatever was around.Runs fine,burns no oil.Bought new,one owner.Great engine.

Great to know. This is my first twin, I know the single cyl Briggs flatheads are bulletproof plus this one has iron liners. I've read about these opposed twins with 3000+ hrs still running strong. I think I'll do 15W-40 in summer since straight 30 is getting hard to find around here and syn 10W-30 in winter for plowing.

On my 1966 4 hp briggs (allis charmers) i have always used strait 30 it smokes a little but runs great the only thing i did was convert it to electronic ignition because the points turned to dust lol

i never tried 15w40 i wonder if it would smoke less..
My dad got this in 66 when i was a baby back then it was a commercial machine and even with the 4hp it goes through anything. Starting is hard sometimes but i always get it running.
It seems that all my briggs engines without a prime button seem to be hard to start

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back