B&S Intek 5w40 syn ok?

Hey everyone i have an early 2000 scotts s1742 made by john deere mower with a b&s single cylinder intek 17hp engine, which runs great. im am currently using 5w30 synthetic oil in it as per B&S recommendations. i am noticing more oil consumption as the years go on. i have a few quarts of mobil 1 5w40 in my garage that i wanted to put to use, and wanted to know if that would be ok to run to help reduce the oil consumption a little. thanks guys

Hey everyone i have an early 2000 scotts s1742 made by john deere mower with a b&s single cylinder intek 17hp engine, which runs great. im am currently using 5w30 synthetic oil in it as per B&S recommendations. i am noticing more oil consumption as the years go on. i have a few quarts of mobil 1 5w40 in my garage that i wanted to put to use, and wanted to know if that would be ok to run to help reduce the oil consumption a little. thanks guys
You think?🤔 Back when that engine was manufactured, B&S only specified SAE 30 HD. Plus, it’s only 20 years old. Run it if you like.

I seriously doubt oil consumption will be different using either 5w-30 or 5w-40. Myself, I would either use 15w-40 or straight 30. I use straight 30 in all my OLE.

Back