Axle Nut Torque on Ground or in Air

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ideally it should be done in the air but on stick shift FWD cars this rotates the engine against (through?) its compression. I'm too lazy to wedge something on the brake, etc. I wind up doing the final torque on the ground.

I also use the HF torque wrench that tops out at 150 ft/lbs then give a little extra ugga dugga with a breaker bar if the rated torque is higher. Do it in the same minute to keep the muscle memory.

on my 4wd trucks that have a spindle that the shaft goes through with tapered bearings you kinda have to do it in the air with the wheel off etc.

but any vehicle that I've done that has the CV shaft going through it i've tightened it with the wheel on the ground in order to keep the vehicle from moving and to get an accurate torque

When I have removed and replaced the axle nut on FWD vehicles , I loosened it and re-tightened it , with the vehicle , tire on the ground .

I used a 3/4" drive ratchet or break over bar + long cheater pipe . And stood on the cheater pipe to break the nut loose .

Ground but I would also check in instructions on the bearing itself. Though I would be surprised if it says air but it should make a mention of the proper torqueing procedure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back