AVG 8.0 Free 86 the Norton and also Symantic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Daughters 5 yr old dell laptop. I am getting the norton off and will install AVG 8.0 free.

Not sure what the Symantic does. Should I take it off as well or does it help with offic apps Word etc?

Get everything off, anti-virus wise first. I have been using AVG for about 2 or 3 years and absolutely love it. I use the free version. The first thing I do when I get a new computer is un-install McAfee or Norton and install AVG from Download.com.

I have been using AVG on my wife and son's machines (I use Linux exclusively) for years and it has been great.

Get every trace of Norton, McAfee, Symantic and any other things that attempt to take over your machine. Once you remove Norton, you will think you have a new computer. It is constantly using massive amounts of resources.

Good Luck.

I used AVG for years and it seemed to catch about 98% of the bad things, but it most just did hard-disk based malware and the updates seemed awfully inefficient.

I am now using Avast! free and it seems to be a step up. It actively monitors in the background for hard-disk malware AND malicious internet connections. The updates are only a few kb in size, as well.

Go to Norton's web site. They have a file which when downloaded and run will remove everything.

McAfee also has an uninstall program on their web site for those using McAfee Products.

I just removed Norton from two new laptops we just bought.

Originally Posted By: SrDriver
Go to Norton's web site. They have a file which when downloaded and run will remove everything.

McAfee also has an uninstall program on their web site for those using McAfee Products.

I just removed Norton from two new laptops we just bought.

Think about it... If a product has to have its web site visited to download a program to get thier [censored] off of your computer....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back