average life span of a well maintained weedeater?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a husqvarna 125L. It now has become to not idle too well. Smokey and it does not want to get past the rough idle. I have been using stihl 1gal mix with a little bit of StarTron. My guess is that I poured the last bottom amount of mixed gas in the weedeater's tank and then this happens. I reckon that since the star tron does not have a great measuring system like STABIL it is kinda difficult to guess the amount needed without over use of the expensive product.

Could a loose spark plug wire cause my weedeater to run bad? Last time I changed the plug the socket couldn't get on the plug just right and when I wiggled the boot too much it sorda popped off into my hand.

Now back to the startron. If they just steal a little patent or just make a bottle similar to stabil I think I would think they would see more.

Other than that idea I think it would be good just to use the marine formula of Stabil since the ethanol treatment is already in there and in the cool measurable bottle.

2 strokes we get 5-7 years out of them under ABUSIVE service we have a Craftsman with a B&S?? 34CC 4 cycle that is going on 12? years and running fine..
I think the 4 cycle lasts A LOT longer than the 2 cycle under abusive services...average homeowner duty I'm not sure

Last edited:
Before you tear it apart drop a cap or two of seafoam in the tank and run it full tilt for 15 minutes or so.

Last edited:
Maybe too much oil in your premix? Do you shake your gas before pouring (I do it to make sure it didn't separate but it doesn't ever seem to).

Pull the plug and check for fouling, you may have used old gas. Ethanol sucks up water if you leave the gas around too long... I never make more than a half gallon premix at a time.

And don't pour leftovers in your car. You can, but it may have water in it.

Stabil Marine is a good idea. Reasonable use never leads to over treatment, must have distillates with the oxidizers so no big deal.... But this is all the info I can tell you, I am not 100% sure.

Sorry, forgot to add a well maintained weed eater should last more than 10 years home use... Professional use maybe 1-3 years I imagine. I have a Stihl at my parent's place that must be 20 years old.

Last edited:
My neighbors just died, didn't last very long. Bad mix, not enough oil. Better to have too much oil vs too little. Mine likes an occasional drink of MMO.

id say around 4 years for a residential trimmer. 15-20 years for a commercial one used in a residential setting. I just retired my echo after 7 years and probably mowed 2500 yards in that time. I don't even think it was worn out. I think it got a piece of dirt caught in the carb somewhere but after taking it apart and still not running right I decided it made it's moneys worth. lol.

We've gotten about five years out of them where I work. Common failure points are throttle cables, safety squeeze cables, couplings, and recoil starters.

My Craftsman is on its' 9th year now and still running fine. The previous trimmer, a Ryobi, lasted only 2 years.

My Dad handed down his 15 year old Echo trimmer to my brother. Yes, it's a bit smoky and slightly down on power but it still works fine.

He replaced it with another straight-shaft Echo which has been running fine for the past 5 years.

Check the fuel filter that is likely in the tank. Check all fuel lines for cracks or mouse chewing. Check carb linkage and air intake for mouse nests. New plug. Premix 50:1.

Average lifespan can vary greatly. I have a Husqvarna 325RJ in my garage that is dead due to low compression...40 psi. It's about a year old and was used commercially.

Originally Posted By: southernjeeper
I have a husqvarna 125L. It now has become to not idle too well. Smokey and it does not want to get past the rough idle.

That's exactly the string trimmer I have and it never idled right until I adjusted the carb. This model does have an adjustable carb, you just need a AYP/Poulan/Husqvarna carb adjustment tool to do it. I mail ordered one for about $5 shipped to the door. Man do these run well when the carb is dialed in for your conditions.

Joel

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
My neighbors just died, didn't last very long. Bad mix, not enough oil. Better to have too much oil vs too little. Mine likes an occasional drink of MMO.

Agreed, if mine isn't making a good smoke cloud, I add more oil to the tank...

What is it??? A cheap Weedeater(Poulan) that's at least 10 years old...

Although my Echo is only a few years old, I hope to get a few more years out of it. Still runs like the day I got it. Always starts on 2nd pull, and runs strong.
I have always used the Echo oil.

Got an old homelite that I've had for 15 years since new.

Always run somewhere between 25 and 32 to 1, as I don't beleive that a stroker is lubricated until the oil makes it all of the way to the exhaust...always used TCW-3, as that goes in all my vehicles.

Spark arrestor has clogged twice, demonstrating that the crosshatch is still there...exhaust gasket was asbestos too, just like FIL's Ryobi ?

Should never have looked after it that well,as when the trimmer head wore out, I bought a gator aftermarket head, for 1/3 the price of a new Homelite trimmer, and it's too heavy to rev right,and sometimes has a stupid harmonic "snatch" with the motor doingone stroke backwards, and the next forwards as the "flywheel" hunts, which will break something for sure.

FIXED!!!

Marvel MYSTERY OIL is the !@#$

hip hip hooray ...hip hip HOORAY

I had forgotten I posted this question... On a last resort before taking in to get fixed at a husq dealer I poured in a fair amount of MMO and it ran top end with no hesitation!!!

With that said I am going to start using a small bottle amount in the jeep and the truck from now on. Either Seafoam or MMO or Chemtool.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JTK
Originally Posted By: southernjeeper
I have a husqvarna 125L. It now has become to not idle too well. Smokey and it does not want to get past the rough idle.

That's exactly the string trimmer I have and it never idled right until I adjusted the carb. This model does have an adjustable carb, you just need a AYP/Poulan/Husqvarna carb adjustment tool to do it. I mail ordered one for about $5 shipped to the door. Man do these run well when the carb is dialed in for your conditions.

Joel

is that tool for the little hard to figure out what avtually turns them? They are just below the idle control which takes a phillips screwdriver I believe.

actually not fixed... I just thought it was.

It turns out the guy at the husq shop said that it might be the coil going out. SO then I went to show him what happened to the sparkplug boot when I went to put the socket on it. It came off in my hand. He said that could do it since the wires in the coil wire weren't looking too good and that would cause the engine to run like [censored].

So hopefully by friday or saturday morning I will get the weedeater back in action.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back