Avalanche front wheel bearing hub

Status
Not open for further replies.
Need to replace noisy front bearing. In the past i've always used SKF or Timkin as they were USA produced. Looking now, the ones for my truck , timken is Mexico/ China. SKF is Argentina.

Anyone had bad experiences with either brand lately? I'm leaning toward SKF.

Thanks

Just reading reviews, some responses say usa made on the timken box. I may try timken.

Last edited:
Go to AZ and look at the COO, to me its worth the extra money for a NOS USA made part. I don't buy hubs much anymore online, even F.A.G./ Ina is making them in friggin China.

Originally Posted by Trav
Go to AZ and look at the COO, to me its worth the extra money for a NOS USA made part. I don't buy hubs much anymore online, even F.A.G./ Ina is making them in friggin China.

AZ, Oreilly and AA all had house brands but no instock skf or timken. Napa is a gamble, as i have gotten reboxed stuff thats cheap, so i just orded the timken. Have trip this weekend so had to order tonight.

Ordered this one.

https://www.amazon.com/Timken-SP500...;qid=1554079571&s=gateway&sr=8-1

Last edited:
Does MOOG make one?

Also check NAPA, I used their cheap ones on my Cobalt and got about five years out of them. Those lasted longer than the OEM.

I bought Moog wheel hub from Auto Zone last summer for my 04 Silverado. 3 year warranty made in China but looked like quality part. Sold truck a month later so I can't tell you more but I wasn't taking a chance on the house brand. Had a wheel hub replaced on my Saturn and guy who did it got the part from GM dealer. Said it was cheaper than what got from his parts store for quality part. He no take chance on house brand either.

Hope you don't live in the rust belt as they can be a pain to replace. Also, you should plan on replacing the other front in the near future since it will most likely start failing soon too. If my memory serves me correctly, the factory uses Loctite on the hub bolts, so some well applied heat will help soften the material.

Rock Auto has the actual OE hubs
smile.gif

Got the old hub off. The bolts were no problem i did have one bolt that was close to the axle and the top of the control arm similar to the problem HangFire had. I tapped on a 15mm endwrench and got all the bolts loose. But man did i have to beat and use punches and chisels to get the darn thing out of the hole! It was rusted in good. Had to use a couple of chisels and a 2lb hammer to get it out. ran a wire brush on a drill in there and cleaned it up.

I've seen videos where guys have used the power steering to press the bearing out of the knuckle, but I'd be afraid I'd burst a line or worse trying that with all the rust on mine. At least you know what to expect for the other one now.

Originally Posted by SkipsterPA
I've seen videos where guys have used the power steering to press the bearing out of the knuckle, but I'd be afraid I'd burst a line or worse trying that with all the rust on mine. At least you know what to expect for the other one now.

I'm not in the rust belt but the truck has been on the beach in the past, so its just like a rust belt truck. I hate rust. Most of miles on this truck even though they are low, are towing miles. The other bearing feels tight and is quiet so i'll leave that for another day.

Amazon to deliver my timken hub tomorrow by 9pm. No one had skf or timken in stock locally.

Last edited:

I'm interested in seeing these videos. Searched on YouTube but no luck. Can you provide the links to these videos?

Originally Posted by willbur

I'm interested in seeing these videos. Searched on YouTube but no luck. Can you provide the links to these videos?

Never mind- found them.

Got it today from amazon. Installed and ready to go. I think i will order another and do the other side in a few weeks.

Never mind- found them.

Sorry--missed this. Traveling right now and haven't had time to check the board. Glad you found them. That procedure just seems like it could cause problems in areas where the bearings are frozen in with rust.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back