Auxillary lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.
If one was interested in running aftermarket fog or driving lights (yes, I understand two different applications, but similar hardware) what would some of the go-to brands and models be? Specifically *IF* that person was me it would be to provide improved highway lighting to supplement the low beams when highs are not appropriate (so beam pattern/aim would be important). I doubt there is any way to actually mount them in this instance which I would find acceptable, though so I'm more looking at ideas than actual solutions.

Edit: This is on a sedan, not my truck (which has outstanding forward lighting, even the fogs are good) or my bike.

Last edited:
Yes, getting near zero voltage drop after running a better ground to one side with otherwise factory relay setup (due to OEM remote battery location). 9006 low beams through OEM halogen projectors, all lenses are clear and non-yellow with newish 9012 (HIR2) bulbs. Huge improvements from stock but still woefully inadequate lighting. Not willing to shell out big bucks and big time to retrofit real HID projectors into stock housings, very tempted to try a super cheap HID kit just to see how it works with the factory projectors despite my ardent dislike for that option.

And like I mentioned above, really nowhere to mount up aux lights on this particular car anyways, just kinda curious what some good options these days are (hopefully at the lower cost spectrum).

Driving lights are meant to supplement the high beams but I guess they can be aimed and wired to assist the low beams but do not know if this is legal or safe.

Not sure how it would appear to oncoming traffic. When i see blue glare headed at me from a HID in halogen tuner type vehicle, I want to run them off the road. Happy to see offenders being pulled over.

Zero voltage drop is a bit hard to believe. I got mine down to 0.3v drop from over 3.0v by making a new 12 awg relayed harness, and my sealed beam GE nighthawk 6054's are more impressive than 85% of the cars that pull up next to me at night at a red light.

Originally Posted By: tomcat27
For brands... PIAA or Hella

Ive been looking at both for fog lights. I found a lot of mixed reviews on both as of late. Hella especially after their lights started coming from Indonesia. I was looking at KC instead.

Originally Posted By: wrcsixeight
Zero voltage drop is a bit hard to believe. I got mine down to 0.3v drop from over 3.0v by making a new 12 awg relayed harness, and my sealed beam GE nighthawk 6054's are more impressive than 85% of the cars that pull up next to me at night at a red light.

Well its really not zero, its very low. 0.04 vDrop on the ground side and 0.05 vDrop on the power side, as measured to the large diameter ground strap in engine bay and the +batt large diameter cable in the fuse box- But I do need to figure out a way to check it against the actual battery terminals at the battery under the rear seat. Maybe jumper cables...

Here in the United States, Hella is the only brand I would trust.

There are other brands like Cibie, and Koito. Very exotic and difficult to get here.

Then there are the cheap stuff.... like Blazers

The important things with fogs/driving lights are these:

-Vacuum metalized reflector-polished
-Free form for driving, heavy fluting for fog.(except projectors
-Glass lens
-(I avoid H3 blulbs) H7 or H10 preferred.
- Well designed optics (why you buy major brands)
- Fog and driving lights are not that important these days, since OEM optics are soo good! Even compared to ten years ago.
- fluted lens -Sealed well against the weather.
- E1 rated is preferred(means Germany, strictest standards in Europe), but any E-code is okay.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back