Auxiliary ATF filter; bypass or full flow?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
No harm in leaning on the safe side and using the XG8A, but the XG5 would take an incredibly long time to plug.
Thanks; I decided on the XG8A. I just had to change the filter nipple as the housings are the same.

If you want even better cleaning with no chance of clogging, I'm about to convert a Super Duty's Ford/NTZ bypass filter for universal use over the weekend. Sub-micron bypass filtering, as used on previous Super Duties. If it turns out well, I'll post the whole project. I'm going to take samples of my trans fluid at 100, 500, 1000, and 1500 miles for UOA to see how well she scrubs. Probably going to add one to power steering as well. Hydroboost can be real sensitive about particles.
I hope that you do post it. I always like seeing projects like that. I plan to install remote filter systems into the transmission lines and the power steering lines on my PSD as soon as it warms up a little outdoors.

I'm actually going to hold off on it until my heavy duty power steering gear box comes in. It's one of those "must have" mods for any 06-08 Ram. The improved Mopar heavy duty box is a lot better than the shoddy original design. No point in putting the filter in until I've got the new components installed. Should be delivered between the 15th and the 21st, and it'll all go right in.

Old box vs. new box:

You actually have to gut the fan shroud quite a bit just to get this big sucker on in there. Direct replacement for the factory box.

Look at the size of that sector shaft! It's the big swinging Richard of power steering gearboxes.

You actually have to gut the fan shroud quite a bit just to get this big sucker on in there. Direct replacement for the factory box. Look at the size of that sector shaft! It's the big swinging Richard of power steering gearboxes.
Massive upgrade on the box. Mopar does not make a fan shroud that is designed for it? I am assuming this reduces the effort to turn the truck when at low speeds and heavily loaded and is why the redesign happened?

It's more like it increases the chances of driving down the road in a straight line, and staying that way.
wink.gif

Factory boxes were notorious for wandering, losing power assist, and just failing in general. The wandering being the most frequent issue.

This truck has 35's, so it is more of an issue than it would be on a stock truck. But yes, effort is reduced. Rock crawling guys running 40's have no complaints about this box.

It's more like it increases the chances of driving down the road in a straight line, and staying that way.
wink.gif
Factory boxes were notorious for wandering, losing power assist, and just failing in general. The wandering being the most frequent issue. This truck has 35's, so it is more of an issue than it would be on a stock truck. But yes, effort is reduced. Rock crawling guys running 40's have no complaints about this box.
Ah...ok. I have only owned a 1996 1500 Dodge so I was not aware the larger trucks had this problem. What about the fan shroud--no replacement piece from Mopar that works with the new box?

Negative. Apparently, they felt they already brought us far enough by giving us a box option..........for us to buy ourselves. Along with the corrected steering linkage, and power steering pump, of course.

Fan shroud was a little too much to ask I guess. Only has to be clearanced right there in the part it sits. No big deal. At least it's a solution.

The steering linkage is the real funny part. First time I saw the factory linkage, I almost burst out laughing. Even I could tell it allowed for steering angle of the wheels to change independent of eachother.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back