Autozone - massive tool clearance

D60

I'm surprised @AutoMechanic hasn't clued us in here, but it appears AZ is getting rid of their SureBilt tools (think Companion to Craftsman) and the large majority of their OEMtools.

Discounts seem to range from ~10% to 70%. Many potentially useful items are ~50% off.

Also I wouldn't completely dismiss the SureBilt stuff. They have a few gems like 1/4" hex nut drivers (not sure if magnetic?) and 1/4" hex to square adapters. Also a couple cheap unibits that might be useful as sacrificial drills.
20230908_113523.jpg
20230908_113508.jpg
20230908_113453.jpg

A few examples of what I purchased:
-Thick Film Ignition module socket for $2. I had one of these decades ago when I was 'wheeling my EFI 5.8 but I couldn't find it now if my life depended on it. IIRC retail was $10

- Honda crankshaft holding tool for $16. I honestly have NO idea if this style is worth a darn. I'm ashamed to say I've never dealt with a Honda crank or much of anything on a Honda engine. IIRC retail was $32 or $36

-water pump holding tool for GM Ecotec. $7. Don't recall retail. No idea if I'll ever need this but, hey, I like specialty tools ("MY PRECIOUS!")

-Helicoil kits in 5/16-18 and 3/8-16 for $10 ea. We all know thread repair kits ain't cheap. They also had metric sizes but wanted more $$. These only came with three inserts (cheapskates), BUT:

-packs of 10 helicoils were also marked down. I got 3/8-16 and M10x1.5 for $2.50 and $3.00 respectively
20230908_113430.jpg

There was a lot more! Other specialty tools, pullers, etc etc. You'd need to wander in yourself to see what might help you.

I'm surprised @AutoMechanic hasn't clued us in here, but it appears AZ is getting rid of their SureBilt tools (think Companion to Craftsman) and the large majority of their OEMtools.

Discounts seem to range from ~10% to 70%. Many potentially useful items are ~50% off.

Also I wouldn't completely dismiss the SureBilt stuff. They have a few gems like 1/4" hex nut drivers (not sure if magnetic?) and 1/4" hex to square adapters. Also a couple cheap unibits that might be useful as sacrificial drills.
View attachment 177489View attachment 177490View attachment 177491

A few examples of what I purchased:
-Thick Film Ignition module socket for $2. I had one of these decades ago when I was 'wheeling my EFI 5.8 but I couldn't find it now if my life depended on it. IIRC retail was $10

- Honda crankshaft holding tool for $16. I honestly have NO idea if this style is worth a darn. I'm ashamed to say I've never dealt with a Honda crank or much of anything on a Honda engine. IIRC retail was $32 or $36

-water pump holding tool for GM Ecotec. $7. Don't recall retail. No idea if I'll ever need this but, hey, I like specialty tools ("MY PRECIOUS!")

-Helicoil kits in 5/16-18 and 3/8-16 for $10 ea. We all know thread repair kits ain't cheap. They also had metric sizes but wanted more $$. These only came with three inserts (cheapskates), BUT:

-packs of 10 helicoils were also marked down. I got 3/8-16 and M10x1.5 for $2.50 and $3.00 respectively
View attachment 177492

There was a lot more! Other specialty tools, pullers, etc etc. You'd need to wander in yourself to see what might help you.
All gone at the Auto Zone stores in my area all has been replaced with all Duralast brand.

• Wow
Reactions: D60
Thanks for the heads up. I didn't end up buying anything but there was a lot of tools on sale! It was worth a visit.

I picked up a few more items at a different store:

-mini feeler gauge $3
-brake cylinder hone $7; no idea if useful but I plan to start dabbling with just rebuilding some calipers myself
-6" wire wheel for bench grinder $4; I use these a lot to clean up fasteners and smaller parts
-scraper set $10. I like the hard handles vs my Mayhews, and these also have a striking cap
20230915_112156.jpg

Is Autozone "rezoning " what they carry now. Is this going to be a complete store reset? Usually if a company is discounting by this much things are going in a different direction .

Hit a few more stores today. First, the non-marring Titan sockets in 15/16" are $5 down from an alleged ~$29. I use 15/16" on the lugnuts for my non-profit's '02 CTD, but it has steelies. I bought the socket anyway because a deal's a deal (the Peg Bundy method of shopping applied to tools rather than clothes)
20231006_184257.jpg

Next, the SureBilt "Metric Impact Hex Bit Set caught my eye primarily because it has tiny stuff like 1.5 and 2mm bits with a 1/4" hex shank. So, the next time I need to take apart something like an iPhone I can impact it apart!! Joking, but IME tiny stuff like this comes in handy when you least expect it. $7 on clearance

Another set of gasket scrapers for $10. I kept the first set for myself. They seem surprisingly nice for MIC. This is a gift for some gearhead in my life.

Two hose remover picks. A no-brainer at $4. One for me, one to go in the gift pile.

5/16-18 thread repair kit and 10 inserts -- $10.00 and $2.00, respectively. I was just wishing I had 5/16-18 inserts on an AX15!!

Hose pinch clamps at $6. I already have some, but for the gift pile.
20231006_184357.jpg

I also realized a lot of the Titan tools are on clearance. Look under the registers at many stores. Mine was a bit picked over but magnetic hooks at $1.50 are a no-brainer.

I also bought these damaged bolt extractors for $5 and $6 respectively. I'm always torn on potentially gimmicky extractor stuff like this, but given the low cost risk is minimal, and if they should work they're literally worth 50x what I paid -- I think most of us would pay a decent sum when we suddenly come upon a bolt that might take an extra 2 minutes or could take 2 days.

The concept sorta makes sense: basically to "fill" the space between a damaged fastener head and the wrench. But I can't say if it actually works....
20231009_124050.jpg

This is still going on at local stores, but the red & white clearance tags are simply replaced with standard white price tags.

You can tell if it's clearance if the price ends in zero, such as $3.50 or $13.00. They often restock them once the shelf or hook is empty.

I grabbed another scraper at $3.50. IMO scrapers are expendables. Presently $10 on Amazon

Also another fluid extractor at $13. I was impressed by the build quality and more than one extractor can be nice to have. Presently $21 on Amazon with very good reviews
20240117_104848.jpg

Back