AutoRX vs Seafoam

Status
Not open for further replies.
bobo-

You can get AutoRx from Frank to ship them to you.

Ditto with FP/LC (just bought 2 jugs of LC60 and shipping took 3 wks).

If you want Wallymart's supertech filter, you shall consider taking a trip down to Bellingham location and get a couple from there. Alternatively, try Freddy Meyers in old-Bellingham area also (limited selection).

I live in Rmd area also so ping me if you like...

I've considered a bunch of differnet oils for my car but really (unless i can get some GC at a great price) have always come back to M1, you cant go wrong with it.

Yea i was going to guess shipping was going to be a *****.

Cant go wrong going for a little drive and grabbing a bunch of filters, if i were you id wait for a sale on them though. But again Wix is supposed to be good (If my memory serves me correctly) and OEM isnt anything to be ashamed of.

Thanks Quest. What are you going to do with all that LC60? Do you want to sell me some? We could always go together on subsequent orders and defray the shipping costs.

Geez i forgot to warn you FP and LC are a little addictive.......
A few months back i ordered 1 gallon of each.

Just a few minutes ago i recieved 3 more gallons of FP and 1 of LC
smile.gif

We can always have a get-together @ BreadGarden @ Ironwood mall and have a chat over a cup of joe...

I have to keep up with 5 cars + 2 small gas engines (B&S 4hp lawnmower, Honda GC135 pressure washer).

Ever since I discovered BITOG and the joys of some very good (yet not well-known) products such as AutoRx and LC60, been "stuck" to this board ever since.

we can do a combo purchase down the road to split shipping cost if you need to. I have no problems with that.

bobo quote:
" In fact, since the car runs so well I'm going to hold off on the Seafoam for the time being. I intend to dump a bottle of Chevron Techron in before my next oil change."

AutoZone has free Chevron Techron (limit 2 per household) with free mail in rebate.

I have picked up 4.

I Seafoam'd my '00 Silverado 5.3. It only has 21k miles after 5 years, though it had a dirty TB and blew out a lot of carbon smoke after the treatment.

It runs the same, but I dont want it to get to the point where heavy build up will cause a noticable diff. I did it for prevent' maint'.

Bobo quote:
" I have been going back and forth umpteen times on whether or not to switch to Mobil 1 5W-30 synthetic. Could I get a 5 or 6K one-year OCI out of it without replacing the Nissan OEM oil filter. That approximates my current annual mileage. "

Sounds like my Silverado. I was doing dino 1yr OCI's unless the OLM light came on first.

On your car, 1 yr OCI's w/ M1 and OEM, WIX, or Bosch Premium filter would work great IMO.

I have M1 10-30 in my 5.3 Vortec now.

Should work great for you. Dont be afraid of the "syn causes leaks" myth. I changed my 9 year old Vic 4.6 to Syn (and a new PCV) 5k miles ago, and oil consumption went down 30%.

I put Syn in my brother's 10 year old 160k mile Z-71 350 TBI (previous steady dino 5k OCI diet), and his oil consumption stayd the same.

I used Valvoline Maxlife Syn 10-30 the Vic and Z-71.

Re Auto-RX to Canada

I just got my second order of Auto-RX today. It took only 4 business days to get here, which is astonishing by current Canada Customs random delay standards. Frank has an effective delivery method using US Postal Service/Canada Post that works fine. The Post Office added and $8 brokerage fee plus tax, which is normal for shipments, but they do not rook you for multiple and unexplained charges like UPS does.

Canadians sometimes get overly hung up on avoiding ordering from the US because of fear of charges. I guess if you ordered only one bottle then it seems high percentage-wise, but you really have to consider the overall value. Also, I buy 4 bottles at a time so a few bucks for customs is no big deal.

Generally Fedex or the Post Office are not too bad. UPS is not good for this cross border stuff.

Also, Frank is a stand up guy.

ISLANDVIC,

I agree with all you said except one thing, i would reccomend against the Bosch filter due to a production change in the last few years moving it to mexico, quality has gone way down with bosch.

Speaking of bosch, this maxima will not be happy in the future if you decide to change its plugs and use bosch plugs, stick to NGK's.

Also dont be supprised if you see some oil consumption when first changine to synthetic, Dont drain the oil and cry about it, let it happen as it almost always(well always in my experience) goes away within one oil change.

I PM'd you a few hours ago, kcryan, through the .org. I have found a source locally for Purolator filters, but they cost an arm and a leg more relative to WIX or OEM.

I wouldn't put any spark plug other than NGK in my Maxima. I still am running the original laser platinum plugs after 59K and going on 11 years and the car is running like a champ.

If I switch to synthetic, I will change after 3K at any rate.

Is the Esso XD-3 synthetic or dino oil? I should be able to find some locally.

quote:

Originally posted by bobo:

Is the Esso XD-3 synthetic or dino oil? I should be able to find some locally.

0w30 and 0w40 are synthetic. 15w40 is Dino.

In Ontario they sell it in 4 litre jugs at Walmart. I paid about $12 CDN for the 15w40 Dino.

Do they sell the Esso XD-3 synthetic at Wal Mart in Canada? So far I have only heard a suggestion about getting it at an Esso bulk oil plant. There must be other sources.

Excuse me if this question has been previously answered.

I have a 1995 Nissan Maxima, 5-speed manual, with 59K mostly highway miles on it.

I am considering an AutoRX application but am not sure whether I need it at this point. I have never cleaned my throttle body or idle air control valve and the car idles and runs smoothly.

I have also heard about adding 1/3 can of Seafoam through the brake booster cable to clean the intake manifold, as well as adding say 1/3 can to the gasoline and crankcase, respectively.

Could anyone with any experience with both products (or one or the other for that matter), please weigh in on the relative merits of using both products.

I am particularly interested in determining if there is any overlap or if both products serve different end uses.

Thank you

I haven't read any information about it hear, but, can suggest what has worked for me.

Sea-foam in the intake through a vaccum line. Add slowly about 1/2 a can. Near the end of the fill, let the engine stall or just turm it off while the last few drops are going in. Let sit for 2 hours & then drive your mosquito fogger until the smoke id gone. Add the rest of the can to the fuel.

I don't put Sea-foam in the crank case. Use Auto rx for the 1,500 miles & then the dino flush.

For me, this has been the best combo for cleaning. Dynoed 4 HP more after the top end Sea-foam cleaning on an boosted engine w/ 72,000 miles on it.

quote:

Originally posted by bobo:
Do they sell the Esso XD-3 synthetic at Wal Mart in Canada? So far I have only heard a suggestion about getting it at an Esso bulk oil plant. There must be other sources.

Don't bet on it!
lol.gif

Nice to have found this site as well, and the people in here are very warm as well!

I too bought the Auto-RX after reading this forum for my 2 Nissan Maximas 1998 with both 140,000 kms on it (83,000 miles or so). I have another 1000 kms to go, but so far all looks go. I also poured Auto-RX in the transmission fluid as it has never been changed. (yikes).

I also bought FP and soon will buy LC..so here's my question..

Can I use LC and Auto-RX after the rinsing phase? The instruction on ARX says you can add 2OZ at every oil change...is it then necessary to use LC?

BTW: I am also a member of maxima.org, and yes it's very brutal in there. It's nice to find a forum where everyone is repected.

My apologies if I didn't post in the right topic.

Good Day

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back