AutoRX in the eye

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got AutoRx in my eye.

The stuff was coming out slowly, so I squeezed the bottle and it splattered off the engine and into my eye.

It didn't burn, and I did do the whole washing thing for 15min.

Is this stuff carcinogenic?

Thanks.

from the msds:

"Immediately flush eyes with running water for at least 15 minutes. Hold eyelids open during irrigation. Call a physician for further instructions."

so you did the right thing. the msds says it is not carinogenic.

hopefully you will be seeing better in about a month or two, if remember to wash it out with non-synthetic water.
grin.gif

You should be just fine -- so long as the "synthetic ester of a naturally occurring fatty acid" does not decide that the tissue in your eyeball is close enough to oil sludge that it slowly dissolves it. But hey, that probably won't happen.
wink.gif
Sleep well tonight!
tongue.gif
cheers.gif

What's the pH of Auto-Rx? If it's fairly basic get in to see an eye care professional. Bases do BAD things to eyes even after a flush.

Get an eye flush kit, available at CVS and such.

I've heard mixed reviews on "quick" eye flush kits. Some sware by them and have reported good results. YMMV
grin.gif

Seriously, hit up an opthamologist for a check up. It's good to do anyway, from time to time.

That had to suck. I sprayed some brake cleaner in my eye one and I thought I was going blind.

I wouldn't worry too much over it. My Dad had a car battery explode in his face once, & it didn't do any long-term damage. He was blind for a couple of days, though.

I agree with Buzzsaw, brake cleaner is by far the worst. As soon as you open your eye it dries it out completely. When you blink with no eye lubrication, lets just say it sucks.

Motor oil is probably the best. It doesnt burn and just makes your eye feel sort of greasy. Rinses out fairly easily as well.

Pablo - "Got any picts?"
Haha, no. But with all that eye washing, my eye was red. Which I assume was normal since you are drying out your eyes.

Gary Allen - thanks, I probably will have it checked the next time I'm at the doctor. They usually put some flourescent dye in your eye and check for lesions or ununiform areas.

Well I guess it will be cleaner after the rinse cycle...

I got throttle body cleaner in the eye once after it bounced off the throttle body and it hurt pretty bad.

When pulling a hose from the TB, i didnt know it was a coolant temp hose and got coolant in my eye. That stuff seemed to stay for a bit, didnt really sting, but I couldnt definately feel something wasnt right.

I've gotten a few drops of WD-40 in the eyeball. It stung a little but only lasted a few hours. My eyes never felt so penetrated and lubricated.

I got lacquer thinner in the eye once. I thought my eye was going to shrivel up like a raisin and fall out. Not fun!

Good point TPaul

Tadaima - I didn't mean to make light of your situation - and I am glad you are OK. (knew that AutoRx is pretty harmless and is not a strong base) - sorta my silly gut reaction to any AutoRx "application"

HA! I had gas from a fuel pump that i was installing ( manual fuel pump) ..as in hit the cam and flipped the idler? arm on the pump ..it shot gas out staight up 2 feet right in my eye ...that was over 25 years ago and I still remember how bad that hurt ! YOW!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back