Auto X-Ray EX Read 2000?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking for a code reader that will work with an OBD-I Ford and an OBD-II Nissan. I'm trying to stay Thanks

For the Ford, you could go with something cheap like this from Equus. I used a similar model, mine didn't have the LCD display, on my old 93 Crown Vic and it helped me find a defective ignition module. For the Nissan, have you heard of Scangauge? It's a code reader, trip computer plus digital gauge display. $169.95, S&H included.

Last edited by a moderator:
Auto Xray makes terrific products. I own 2 of there units and love them. I actually use them more than my GM Tech 2 unit, which costs a couple thousand dollars.

55, If both vehicles were OBD2 I would without a doubt get the scangauge. I still may get it for my truck later on down the road. Any idea if the Equus unit reads ABS codes?

GMBoy, do you have the XRay 2000 or their more higher-end models?

So far, I haven't really found any middle ground between the Equus 3145 and the Auto Xray 2k for OBD1. My wife plans to keep driving the explorer for a while, so I'd like to have a quality unit that will service both vehicles. Thanks for the replies so far.

OBDI codes on a Ford, a piece of jumper wire will tell you as much as any code reader. I think you are wasting money on code readers. A scanner on the other hand is invaluable as you can get a data readout/log to actually help you diagnose a condition properly. A trouble code is just the beginning of a diagnosis, any schmuck can pull codes as AutoZone employees have demonstrated.

As far as OBDII scanners, verify it supports the proper protocols for your vehicle. Few generic scanners support the manufacturer specific protocols/busses, some do. Once again, having the ability to have a data link to read sensor outputs/PCM outputs is invaluable to a quick/proper/correct diag.

I have used Harrison Eng. OBDScan software with a used IBM Thinkpad (Total Investment ~ $200) for a couple of years and am well pleased. I also use a small DC/AC inverter to supply 120V to my power supply since my laptop battery is worn out.

OBDScan allows graphic monitoring of all coded outputs (~ 10 items on my cars). It also supports freeze-frame capture when a code is set and will provide a log file of up to 4 parameters w/ monitoring of same.

Here's the website for the software.

Harrison R&D

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back