Auto trans fluid running a little warm?

if you don't keep the torque convertor locked up it will generate heat. My 2012 Ram I manually shift it if I'm towing to keep my TC locked up. You keep the TC locked up by turning higher RPM's. When the RPM's drop the TC becomes unlocked to save the drivetrain. If you keep the TC locked it will drastically reduce your transmission temperatures. On my Ram I usually see 60 to 80F over ambient. So to hit 200F It would need to 120F outside... :unsure:

just my $0.02

You say the tuck is nearly new, 1162 miles. Did you check the fluid level?
Not yet. Yesterday was the first time I drove it.
if you don't keep the torque convertor locked up it will generate heat. My 2012 Ram I manually shift it if I'm towing to keep my TC locked up. You keep the TC locked up by turning higher RPM's. When the RPM's drop the TC becomes unlocked to save the drivetrain. If you keep the TC locked it will drastically reduce your transmission temperatures. On my Ram I usually see 60 to 80F over ambient. So to hit 200F It would need to 120F outside... :unsure:

just my $0.02
I didn't mess with any of that. Dunno if it even has a switch for it.

There's always a chance the fluid level is a little low, even in a new vehicle. It's certainly worth a look.

just my $0.02
I see the same on my Silverado in normal usage.

Looking at your dash picture you should have a +/- switch on your shifter. If you operate in M instead of D it should help keep the torque converter locked. At least that’s how my Ram works.

Just my $0.02

My 2002 Silverado with the 4L60E ran at 160°F and when towing a 4klb trailer and outside temps in the 90's would hit 209°F.

My 2019 Silverado with the 10sp runs at 145°F daily driving and goes up to 190°F towing the same trailer.

Looking at your dash picture you should have a +/- switch on your shifter. If you operate in M instead of D it should help keep the torque converter locked. At least that’s how my Ram works.

Just my $0.02

If the 10r140 is programmed anything like the 10r80 then the converter is locked up in anything over 3-4th gear. It doesn't unlock until you slow down into those gears regardless of load. If the load is heavy, it downshifts. Not to say it doesn't slip between shifts, but from what I've heard/read, once it is locked, it's locked. (Of course I can't find the source of that at the moment. If I do, I'll post it)

Don't think this was it, but they do mention that the TC doesn't have to unlock for shifting:

Last edited:
I was talking to a Ford powertrain engineer awhile back. Those transmission temps are as designed. It's all about efficiency

I was talking to a Ford powertrain engineer awhile back. Those transmission temps are as designed. It's all about efficiency
I'm curious as to whether that is just the talking point (however quantifiably true) and how much longevity takes a back seat?

Nope, this is news to me. Have you done one?

I am under warranty until 125K so I let it be FCA's problem. ;)
No the part just came out if I’m not mistaken

Would like to do one or two likely on 68rfe and see what the results are

Would probably even be effective on a nag1 equipped wrangler that gets abused off road

The 8 speed seems to be pretty easy on fluid for the most part. Usually a valve body will fail before the fluid is changed. Although I’m starting to get many more 8 and 9 speed services lately since many vehicles are getting up there in mileage

Being able to see all the clutch numbers with the scan tool to see overall health is nice too

Back