Auto-RX on 1999 F150 4.2 manual.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought a 1999 F150 w/t with 69,000 miles on it for $1800. (good deal huh) I just changed the oil and started Auto-RX treatment. This truck has had a rough life w/ very little care and unknown maintenence. It's also had a lot of dirt road miles. I used Auto RX in my 150,000 mile 1998 Camry 1MZ with good results. I just changed my oil and filter and added Auto-RX. It's just 300 miles into the Auto-RX treatment and it's runs a ton better, seriously it feels like it has 50 more horsepower, however, the oil looks nearly black again. Would the ARX be cleaning that quickly ? Also would the dirt road cause a lot of build up. I also hope that there won't be any problem going 1500 miles, the filter is pretty good sized.

Are there any issues with these motors ? The 4.2 is based on the 5.4 V-8 correct. And one last question, is it okay to power wash the engine ? It's very, very, dusty and dirty. Thanks in advance.

The 4.2L is not a modular motor.

The 4.2L is a stroked 3.8L V6.

The main problems were gasket issues and oil leaks.

So using auto-rx now is a good idea.

Thanks darkdan.. I'm also thinking about Auto RXing the transmission. I've looked all over but can't find the capacity. I think I'll go with Amosoil 75W-90.

There are two transmission possiblities for your truck.

You'd have to check the door jam sticker for the code and then look it up.

But the mazda made one takes 7.6 pints.
The ZF transmission takes 6.8 pints.

ATF is recommended in this transmission, therefore I'd recommend MTFGlide by SF (site sponsor).

But if you're an AMSOIL fan (like I am) go with their ATF.

take the truck to an auto detailing shop and have the engine steam cleaned like the dealers do. it should cost you about 20-25. then spend 20 on silicone spray and soak the engine down (cold)with it to keep stuff from sticking to it in the future.

jamesn:

"then spend 20 on silicone spray and soak the engine down (cold)with it to keep stuff from sticking to it in the future."

Can you elaborate on that? What kind of silicone spray, and what does it do? Why does it cost $20? Sounds interesting.

- Glenn

...and I thought my steam cleaning was cool!
smile.gif

Can you elaborate on that? What kind of silicone spray, and what does it do? Why does it cost $20? Sounds interesting.

I think he just ment standard silicone lubricating spray ...you know , the stuff you can get at the auto store or hardware store ..as for the $20 ///i don't know ...should cost around $3-4.00

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back