Auto-RX in my PS fluid

pbm

I just added approx. an ounce of Auto-RX to my PS fluid (which was changed recently) to see if it helps quiet the whine. I immediately noticed that the whine had quieted and the PS seemed lighter (smoother). I plan on running this 1K and then changing the fluid as per instructions. I have to decide whether to use PS fluid or Mobil 1 ATF in the system when the 1K is up. The car is an 02' Buick century with 105K.

I would add another ounce to the system if you plan on changing it out in 1000 miles. IIRC the dose we used was 1 oz/qt of PS fluid. I'm thinking a typical PS until holds more than 1 qt of fluid. Check your OM or a shop manual for the amount of fluid it holds.

I just finished cleaning my P/S with auto-rx. What a difference!!! Very quiet and stopped a slow leak I had. I did have to flush the system with twice the fluid capacity to get all of the old fluid out.

pbm

Any thoughts on the Mobil 1 ATF as a replacement PS fluid? What effect would there be if all of the A-RX isn't removed from the PS pump? In other words would a slight amount left in there harm anything?

Originally Posted By: pbm
Any thoughts on the Mobil 1 ATF as a replacement PS fluid?
Good choice, I ended up using QS Blend ATF and really like it.
 Originally Posted By: pbm
What effect would there be if all of the A-RX isn't removed from the PS pump? In other words would a slight amount left in there harm anything?
The residual auto-rx is not a problem at all. I lust did a 2qt flush with super tech blend ATF then used the QS for the fill. I needed 2qt just to get completely clean fluid from the return line.

Last edited: