Auto-Rx in 1991 GMC 1500 pickup

Status
Not open for further replies.
At 142,xxx miles i decided to put in Auto-Rx and see if i could gain any improvements. I have owned the truck for 14 years and i had run 5 or 10/30 dino oil of various brands and changed at 4k intervals. After finding Bitog i bought a bunch of Havoline and Maxlife syn in 5 and 10/30 on closeout and i change it at 5-6k intervals. Truck is a 2wd, 5 speed, 4.3 engine pre Vortec. By no means is this truck a heavy hauler but i do use it for driving to work and a bit of towing, as much as a 6 banger can haul anyway. I noticed years ago that this engine tended to coat the pcv valve with a sooty layer of carbon, which is normal but i always thought this could be a problem down the road. I am 1300 miles into a clean phase and i really havent noticed anything at all in increased performance or mpg. The engine oil is dark, more so than normal at 1300 miles but i havent seen any little black carbon specks in the oil either. On a engine with mileage like mine i assume it will take a bit to liquify any carbon or varnish in the engine to the point where i notice a differance in performance. In case you are wondering i currently have sl formulation Quaker State 10/30 from a 6 quart jug in the engine and a purolater oil filter.

Locomaster you won,t see much (if anything) until you finish rinse phase. The cleaning part is removing contaminants from your internals and driving them in liquid form into your filter.

This is not a microwave or a pain killer to cover the headache.

You have waited till 140k miles to do it and expect a result in 1300 miles? Be patient, you are too much into it not to continue.

Just keep on going until after the first rinse. Results may be different with different cars. In my case, I have no more hesitation and accelerate much faster. That started happening during the rinse phase and continuing till now and it gets even better.

Good point guys.....On my car everything good happened on the clean portion. But I keep hearing that most of the good should happen on the rinse. So keep on keeping on.........

With my car, the improvements came during the clean phase. I'm pretty sure my piston rings were plugged up, and the piston rings appear to be one of the first things Auto RX cleans.

If you have other issues, expect it to take longer.

No issues with the vehicle. Just curious to see how much carbon gets liquified and ends up in the filter. Hoping to get a little more top end power after a rinse cycle.

ARX worked beyond expectations on my ex- 4.3 liter vortex. Mine was in an S-10 with a 5 gear. But at 125K after a cleaning and rinse, my mileage was never better and the smog test numbers were never as good.

Checked the oil level today and at around 1700 miles on the clean phase the oil is nearly black. I can barely see through the oil to read the markings on the dipstick. Looks like Auto RX is doing its job.

Your engine must be very dirty to have cleaning oil be so black so soon.Consider changing the filter and topping off your oil (no Auto-Rx)also change filter half way through rinse (1500 miles)

Repeat when doing second cleaning (half way 1250 miles) rinse mileage same as above.Its inexpensive insurance so you don,t over fill the oil filter with liquid contaminants.

My neighbor once got(was free) an 88 Chevy truck with a 305 which smoked like a freight train. After scraping out the sludgy valve covers/valvetrain, he tried the A-rx. Within 500 miles, it began to clear up. Still doing better over time!!!

He also used QS for both the clean/rinse stages, with NAPA oil filters.

Changed the oil at 2500 miles on the clean phase. Oil was dark, more so than what it usually is at 2.5k, nearly black so something must have been cleaned up. No sludge or sediment came out of the oilpan. Post-mortem on the oil filter; no sediment, sludge, particles or bits in the bottom of the can. Filter media was dark but i really didnt see anything trapped in the pleats. Will let the media drip dry onto paper towels and review again later. No gritty feel of the oil between the fingers. Will not comment on auto-rx until after the rinse phase is completed. Rinse oil is havoline 5/30 depositshield with a purolater filter.

Originally Posted By: Locomaster
Changed the oil at 2500 miles on the clean phase. Oil was dark, more so than what it usually is at 2.5k, nearly black so something must have been cleaned up. No sludge or sediment came out of the oilpan. Post-mortem on the oil filter; no sediment, sludge, particles or bits in the bottom of the can. Filter media was dark but i really didnt see anything trapped in the pleats. Will let the media drip dry onto paper towels and review again later. No gritty feel of the oil between the fingers. Will not comment on auto-rx until after the rinse phase is completed. Rinse oil is havoline 5/30 depositshield with a purolater filter.

Sounds like it's doing its job, you may get deposits in the filter during the rinse phase and you may not. Probably just depends on how dirty your internals are. Please do post after the rinse phase.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back