Auto parts store employee sadness

You have a right to defend your property. More people should as well as businesses -then this will stop. The mentality that a life is more important then any personal item is what opens the door to these bold criminals just getting away with it. The libs will defend the criminal at all costs and forget the victim.

Walmart announced closing their inner city stores in Portland and Chicago. My opinion of Walmart improved. I have no interest in paying higher prices to subsidize theft elsewhere.

Because those stores never turned any profit since they were opened. I bet something conspicuous happened, like walmart wanted special privileges with their taxes in return for staying in the location and the city said no.

From walmart
The simplest explanation is that collectively our Chicago stores have not been profitable since we opened the first one nearly 17 years ago – these stores lose tens of millions of dollars a year, and their annual losses nearly doubled in just the last five years. The remaining four Chicago stores continue to face the same business difficulties, but we think this decision gives us the best chance to help keep them open and serving the community.

Over the years, we have tried many different strategies to improve the business performance of these locations, including building smaller stores, localizing product assortment and offering services beyond traditional retail. We have invested hundreds of millions of dollars in the city, including $70 million in the last couple years to upgrade our stores and build two new Walmart Health facilities and a Walmart Academy training center.

Because those stores never turned any profit since they were opened. I bet something conspicuous happened, like walmart wanted special privileges with their taxes in return for staying in the location and the city said no.

From walmart
The simplest explanation is that collectively our Chicago stores have not been profitable since we opened the first one nearly 17 years ago – these stores lose tens of millions of dollars a year, and their annual losses nearly doubled in just the last five years. The remaining four Chicago stores continue to face the same business difficulties, but we think this decision gives us the best chance to help keep them open and serving the community.

Over the years, we have tried many different strategies to improve the business performance of these locations, including building smaller stores, localizing product assortment and offering services beyond traditional retail. We have invested hundreds of millions of dollars in the city, including $70 million in the last couple years to upgrade our stores and build two new Walmart Health facilities and a Walmart Academy training center.
They are tactfully not saying why those stores were not profitable.

I could possibly see this reaction if you owned the company/store. However an employee seriously not worth it EVER worrying about a shoplifter like this.
The answer seems to be putting cameras all over the store, inside & out, and turning all information over to the police. We have localities here (Colerain Township is one) where the police don't even respond to shoplifting calls any more.

I
That is sad. If I was on the jury, I know how I'd vote. NG, but the DA likely will reduce the charge to involuntary manslaughter. Still sad if the manager thought he was doing the right thing.
you can vote what you want however entire jury had to vote unanimously otherwise hung jury and retrial.

The answer seems to be putting cameras all over the store, inside & out, and turning all information over to the police. We have localities here (Colerain Township is one) where the police don't even respond to shoplifting calls any more.
Cameras more often than not .... are not the answer. Cameras and the related IT and maintenance expense is a cost to the store, and primarily in place to keep honest people honest and provide some types of protection for the store against lawsuits. Proponents of cameras are often the IT industry. The cost of cameras and IT equipment is passed onto the consumer.

A case study for a place like the Wal Marts in Chicago likely would show that cameras, even armed security guards were not the answer to stop theft and related activities at their Chicago stores.

The answer is to not allow/ not look the other way to criminal activity.

and, if they are addicts, commit them to treatment facilities.
The other woman is right in one respect, committing and addict who is not ready to quit is almost certain to fail and a waste of money, that said the availability of a program for those who are ready to recover is a good thing.

with respect to the OP, I'm generally in favor of a disproportionately severe response to crime but still don't think shoplifting should be a death penalty offense.

We had a chain of stores here called Consumers Distributing. All mechandise was kept in the back. The customers looked through catalogues, wrote down what they wanted, and staff retrieved the items from the back. No loss due to theft, except for "inside jobs".

I worked for them part-time in the central warehouse in '78/79 while going to school. $2.95/hour.

The other woman is right in one respect, committing and addict who is not ready to quit is almost certain to fail and a waste of money, that said the availability of a program for those who are ready to recover is a good thing..
I think committing them is better than putting them in jail. Even if they "are ready", there's a high chance they will relapse. We've been giving them safe injection sites and safe supply and they are still OD'ing and dying at an increasing rate, so clearly the status quo isn't working either. The Portugal model is now also failing:
Portugal's drug decriminalization faces opposition as addiction multiplies - The Washington Post

The link between mental health and addiction is strong. There are some folks that will never be able to stay clean and will assuredly die on the streets eventually. So, either you commit those people to a mental healthcare facility in the hopes that they can eventually transition to outpatient status, or you postpone the inevitable like we are doing now and eventually they end up in a body bag.

I could possibly see this reaction if you owned the company/store. However an employee seriously not worth it EVER worrying about a shoplifter like this.
Youre much better off being a good witness (assuming the local prosecutors will do anything)

media%2FF58QWp8a0AAOJ2g.png

I think committing them is better than putting them in jail. Even if they "are ready", there's a high chance they will relapse. We've been giving them safe injection sites and safe supply and they are still OD'ing and dying at an increasing rate, so clearly the status quo isn't working either. The Portugal model is now also failing:
Portugal's drug decriminalization faces opposition as addiction multiplies - The Washington Post

The link between mental health and addiction is strong. There are some folks that will never be able to stay clean and will assuredly die on the streets eventually. So, either you commit those people to a mental healthcare facility in the hopes that they can eventually transition to outpatient status, or you postpone the inevitable like we are doing now and eventually they end up in a body bag.

I don't necessarily disagree with any of that - my only concern would be is there sufficient treatment capacity that the placeholders are not taking s spot from someone who would duke good use of it...

I don't necessarily disagree with any of that - my only concern would be is there sufficient treatment capacity that the placeholders are not taking s spot from someone who would duke good use of it...
We have facilities like CAMH in Toronto that are massive mental health treatment facilities that specialize in addiction. A large portion of their population is inpatient, but they have a great outpatient program as well. The problem is that operations like that are expensive and so garnering the necessary funding, difficult.

However, when I consider the 10's of millions my city spends on safe injection sites, warming rooms, shelters, clean needle programs, safe supply programs as well as the cost of keeping paramedics at some of these locations on standby, idling an ambulance or two, waiting to intervene then rush somebody OD'ing up to the hospital to tie up resources there, I suspect that the overall cost would be a wash, while the impact on the actual issue at hand would be huge.

I'm no sociologist, but I think you've got to get the inner city kids believing in the "system" of get a good job, pay taxes, obey the law, etc... Put them in good schools where they have just as much chance as any kid of getting into a decent college, to show them that society thinks they are worth investing in.
I think too many kids see right away they are second class citizens due to their parents bad decisions, and some never get over that, and take the "easy way" of becoming a petty criminal and then maybe more serious crime later... Somehow we have to set up the "easy way" as becoming a functional citizen. It's going to take a couple generations to break the cycle but eventually will pay for itself with less crime and policing costs, and more productive members of society. Sure their will still be some who chose crime, but lots of countries have very low crime rates compared to the US.
Going for more and more extreme punishment may work in the short term, but there are lots of costs to this as well, and its cheaper to educate a kid for 11-12 years, than incarcerate then for even two years... Canada spent between $50k and $110k per inmate per year depending on province.... Plus police costs, court costs, and societal costs...

Back