Auto Insurance - Geico vs Progessive ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Geico vs Progessive ?

I am shopping for auto insurance. It is down to choosing between Geico vs Progressive. I my case, the Geico quote is around 20% lower than Progressive but would it be worth paying more for Progressive for better service etc (slightly better JD Power rating).

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rkpatt
Geico vs Progessive ?

I am shopping for auto insurance. It is down to choosing between Geico vs Progressive. I my case, the Geico quote is around 20% lower than Progressive but would it be worth paying more for Progressive for better service etc (slightly better JD Power rating).

I have Geico and they have been excellent. I was involved in an accident 2years ago and they were quick and easy to work with. Rental was prepped and available immediately. I honestly didn't have to work about a thing except the deductible which h I was reimbursed for by the other insurance.

I would keep shopping.
You will more than likely see rate creep with both.
My understanding is that dealing with claims are a hassle with both(have family in the auto body business)

If you can't get USAA, look at Travelers they are an excellent competitive company. When I used Progressive once, they hiked my rate the second year for no reason, I think they low-ball you in then do that.

Neither. Both have, in the past "donated" radar guns to various police departments. That alone turns me off to them.

I have had Erie for nearly 40 years
Dirt cheap and max coverage but I guess worthless when you have an accident. Meaning they pay but most likely dump you.
A new 2015 F350 is $604 a year- $50 deductible and max coverage.
I'll hang with them until something happens.

Yeah me too!

Originally Posted By: itguy08
Neither. Both have, in the past "donated" radar guns to various police departments. That alone turns me off to them.

Car insurance is crazy. Just shopped for my 19 year old son. We went with GEICO based on price. Their policy is about $2200 a year for him. Progressive wanted over $4000. Buy the cheapest you can get and hope you won't need to use it.

I have had Progressive for 12+ years with GEICO prior. I have no found a fault with their claims and or overall online experience.

My insurance agent for rest of stuff says stick with them he cannot touch their rate. We pay $900 for two vehicles fully insured.

When I was 22, no accidents, Progressive beat Geico whom I already had, substantially. Liability only on an 8 year old grandma car.

Go for the cheapest rate, today, if you only want liability. Their level of customer service is of no concern. Shop more carefully if you want comp & coll.

I'm back with Allstate after trying a few others over the years. I switched a few times due to big rate creeps. Currently pay $1030/yr for the cars in my Sig. Very good coverage as well.

I have had both Progressive and Geico motorcycle insurance. Progressive was a lot more expensive.

Last summer I wrecked my motorcycle and Geico was just excellent! The insurance adjuster, the people on the phone. The whole thing. My wife had to do a lot of legwork because I was really hurt. They treated her like gold.

All insurance companies should be like Geico.

I had a Geico insured driver hit my car.
They had great service but did use used parts in certain places.
That I don't like.

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
I have had Erie for nearly 40 years
Dirt cheap and max coverage but I guess worthless when you have an accident. Meaning they pay but most likely dump you.
A new 2015 F350 is $604 a year- $50 deductible and max coverage.
I'll hang with them until something happens.

What makes you think Erie will drop you for one accident? After this long with them (I've had then for about 30 years myself), you for sure have first accident forgiveness. At one time, Erie provided me a document outlining what rate increases would apply with accidents, whether it still applies I don't know.. I know Erie has several "tiers" of insurance. Erie Insurance Exchange is reserved for their lowest-risk drivers and has the best rates. Erie Insurance Company is a more expensive rate structure for higher (but not "high") risk drivers. If I remember correctly, the last time CR did car insurance ratings Erie was better than average for not dropping customers. I've had several comprehensive claims with them, never a collision, and had excellent service each time. I do wonder though, based on what I've read about how rates are set, if I could get a better rate with another first-tier company. Once they have you for so long, they tend to figure you don't want to switch and you see rate creep.

All-State and State Farm were both difficult to deal with when I was hit by their customers. I probably would have been better off filing with Erie and then have them go after the other company.

Last edited:
I have had Geico for maybe 6 or 7 years. A couple of small claims and Geico has been fine. After 5 years you get an additional discount for 5 year good driver. And accident forgiveness.

A few months back Consumer Reports had a large article on auto insurance.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
I had a Geico insured driver hit my car.
They had great service but did use used parts in certain places.
That I don't like.

You had used parts installed before you got in the accident.

Like has been said you'll probably get rate creep with both Geico and Progressive.

I've had Traveler's before and was happy until their rates became uncompetitive. I now have Metlife with no complaints.

Just don't go with Liberty Mutual, either. I reported a case of insurance fraud to them about a year ago and they didn't even want to listen. And it wasn't a small amount it is costing them, either, I'm talking hundreds of thousands of dollars. If they don't care about their money, they won't care about yours.

I had USAA for a LONG time until they started increasing their rates through no fault of my own. Went with State Farm actually. They gave me a killer rate if I insured my home with them and surprize, the home owners insurance rate was actually lower than what I was already paying with Farmers. Shop around and dwelve deep into what's covered and what's not. The details are in the pudding, so to speak.

USAA kicks both of their butts, but you have to be in the military, a vet, or have a parent that was in the military I believe in order to become a member...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back