Auto execs are coming clean evs arentworking.

When governments say that new ICE vehicles will not be allowed to be sold after 2034, it makes me want to make sure that my next vehicle purchase is an ICE.

I want a car I can park in the garage, with confidence that it won't burn my house down.
Dont be too confident.
You have an x5 and a Corvette, right?
Screenshot_20231106-230032_Chrome.jpg

I agree. If Tesla is doing so fantastic, and is totally dominating, why cut prices? When business is great you raise prices. I think competition is a small part of the equation right now. I also think people are truly losing interest, and lowering prices might help get it going again. I will say again imo, it is a regional thing, political, and not ready for prime time, etc. Add that all up, and the 2035 deadline of eliminating ICE makes zero sense, and Hybrid is a great way to transition.
There’s a lot more things going on than just interest in any car in general. Increasing interest rates and inflation everywhere else. If it was happening in a vacuum I might say you’re on to something. I don’t think it’s that black and white because nearly every car company is down, price drops or not. The only one that isn’t as a conversation here recently and that’s GM which seems to be the only US based auto group turning out many sub $30k vehicles with new releases this year while nearly everyone else is relying on larger, more expensive vehicles. I think those could run on anything including unicorn farts and they’d sell either way at those prices given the competition.

When governments say that new ICE vehicles will not be allowed to be sold after 2034, it makes me want to make sure that my next vehicle purchase is an ICE.

I want a car I can park in the garage, with confidence that it won't burn my house down.
That’s not a federal thing though. They’re relying on increasing emissions standards to do it. It’ll probably be like living in Wisconsin and wanting to buy a new Tesla. I’ll have to drive out of state to go get it. That sounds fair too, huh? Sometimes laws and rules don’t make sense, we’re just stuck dealing with them.

We really are in the era of peak ICE performance. Its wild that its barely keeping pace with entry level nascent EV performance.
Which entry level EV are we talking about?

Some, not all, EV are great for stoplight to stoplight drag racing, and many of those that are quick overheat the controller with full acceleration. Some of them don’t ride or handle very well. The “entry level” EV are nothing like a luxury EV, or even luxury ICE - in many ways, they fall well short.

Mercedes makes some nice ones. Not really entry level.

Some, not all, EV are great for stoplight to stoplight drag racing, and many of those that are quick overheat the controller with full acceleration. Some of them don’t ride or handle very well. The “entry level” EV are nothing like a luxury EV, or even luxury ICE - in many ways, they fall well short.

Well, take my ev6 GT for example. That's a $63k car at sticker. Now how much money do you need to spend on an ICE vehicle to equal it with warranty intact, performance wise?

We really are in the era of peak ICE performance. Its wild that its barely keeping pace with entry level nascent EV performance.

Wrong. Car companies could easily produce dual port and direct injection engines, with todays inflated prices there is NO excuse. There are some out there but nowhere as many as there could be.

Wrong. Car companies could easily produce dual port and direct injection engines, with today’s inflated prices there is NO excuse. There are some out there but nowhere as many as there could be.
Except for emissions unfortunately. There are cars that are dual injected elsewhere which improves reliability, yet still sold here direct injected only having carbon buildup issues over time and likely emissions is why.

Manufacturers are missing a bulk of the market by not making affordable EV's for the masses. We also have to get a more built out charging network countrywide and more range.

If I wanted an emission free car, I would prefer one that either ran on compressed air, or on a wound up spring.

You could put a solar panel on the roof to run the air compressor, or the motor that wound the up the spring.

Except for emissions unfortunately. There are cars that are dual injected elsewhere which improves reliability, yet still sold here direct injected only having carbon buildup issues over time and likely emissions is why.
Would you be kind enough to name some?

In what way does dual injection improve reliability?

Well, take my ev6 GT for example. That's a $63k car at sticker. Now how much money do you need to spend on an ICE vehicle to equal it with warranty intact, performance wise?
About 50K. Go buy a used 2013/14 GT500...and you'll likely never lose money on it and it'll get 27MPG highway.

if people were so concerned about co2 emissions they would live like the amish

and the amish dont live like the amish anymore..

but they still primarily commute by horse and buggy

Depends on the driving you do. Around town, even the first gen Volt feels quick. Bolt is even better in that regard. A Volt can be had for $10K and a nice used Bolt from a dealer for under $20K.

On the highway the low end EVs lose their performance advantage. Trying to pass from 65 to 80? Snoozefest. Something with an average V6 will do better.

Of course, if you have a higher end EV, highway performance is great too. But you pay a lot more for that than $20K. But what $20K car has good passing power? Nothing newer or low mileage with reasonable fuel economy, that’s for sure.

Reactions: Ws6
About 50K. Go buy a used 2013/14 GT500...and you'll likely never lose money on it and it'll get 27MPG highway.
Why not just get a 1998 Camaro and throw a cam and LT's and a tune on it?
Or maybe...

My friend, 2013 was a decade ago. Let's keep it relevant.

Looks like Ford managed an 11.82 at a track with a pro driver. I manage 2 mile, but I can do it quicker by the looks of that video.

Last edited:
Would you be kind enough to name some?

In what way does dual injection improve reliability?
It reduces valve deposits and supposedly allows more power to be made. That said, I've murdered every 5.0 Mustang that's messed with my Kia, so whatever. I'm sure with enough mods one would be quicker/faster.

Pretty much all Fords use Direct and Port injection or some form of dual injection nowadays.

Last edited:
Back