auto door lock not working.

Status
Not open for further replies.
2001 Sequoia Limited. Readily admit, First world problem here. lol The door lock on the auto lock I use with my key fob no longer works. When I hit the button, the drivers door latch won't fully move, only half way. (see pic, door switch right above my finger is the part that won't move all the way) So, I'll think the vehicle is locked only to come back to it actually unlocked, or if I wait a few seconds, it will automatically unlock the doors since it didn't work. I THINK it's the actuator that I need but I'm unsure. This is the part I'm looking at.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=945698&cc=1375286&jsn=416

Any assistance is appreciated.

Last edited:
Does the actuator make a noise when you lock/unlock the doors?

Since it's a 2001 it probably is the actuator. I replaced one for the rear door on my 1998 Sienna.

The motors are known for getting weak and failing.

Sounds like a lock motor, I've had a couple fail on the xB in my sig. I actually got them at AZ due to the lifetime warranty, I had my doubts, but they've been good.

Yes, it moves the little knob but it only goes about halfway, like there is not enough power to make it happen. I found a youtube video of a guy that takes it all apart and replaces the small motor in it with a $5 replacement from eBay, but it's a lot of tinkering. I may just replace the whole thing and be done with it. It's going to be a backup vehicle in another year or so anyways. Heaven help me when that starter goes out, it's buried in the middle of the origin engine. lol

I always shop around because Rock auto isn't the best deal like it used to be since their shipping is getting higher. Sometimes I can find the part on amazon and go that route. We shall see.

The reason why people just replacing the motor was the part is not available for a long time.
Looks like, it is available now.
So, yes, if I were you, I just bought the part.

The motor is not $5 anymore.
The good one is around $16, that was 2 years ago.
A lot of look alike and you have to get the correct one with the proper gear size.
You still have to crack open the casing and put it back together after.
I did it in my older Sienna (sold) twice.
After the second time, there was more rattle although it works.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Tlhfirelion
Yes, it moves the little knob but it only goes about halfway, like there is not enough power to make it happen. I found a youtube video of a guy that takes it all apart and replaces the small motor in it with a $5 replacement from eBay, but it's a lot of tinkering. I may just replace the whole thing and be done with it. It's going to be a backup vehicle in another year or so anyways. Heaven help me when that starter goes out, it's buried in the middle of the origin engine. lol

Yup, had the same issue on my 07 focus last summer. The drivers door lock actuator went out.
I had seen several youtube vids on how to fix it by drilling into the actuator mechanism and doing all kinds of fiddling to get it to work again, but since I don't own a drill, the fix seems like more of a Band-Aid fix, and my time is more valuable to me than opening the door panel several times to keep playing with it, I decided to simply replace it with a new one from RA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back