Auto Coolant Question

Still on original water pump on my Accent at 189k miles with cheap green and yellow now. Gen Coupe at 138k miles on the same stuff.

Depends on if you intend to leave it in until every thing is ruined or not I guess.
I plan on keeping it 500k miles and want to ruin nothing at all.
So, I am ok for 24 months?

Ideally you should use the correct red coolant like

81Toa7weADL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

If you do a complete flush, like 5 cycles of distilled water, you should be good for 100,000 miles or 5 years.
It

I also have a 2008 Corolla with 140K+ miles. I've been running PEAK Global Lifetime coolant since 70K. I don't think a 'Universal' coolant will harm your Corolla as long as you do a good flush first.
If you're concerned about the 2-EHA found in most 'Universal' coolants you could pick up PEAK 10X which doesn't have 2-EHA.

You didn't screw up, the universal coolant is perfectly fine. Don't waste money changing the coolant again. I have used universal extended life coolants ever since around 2006 in vehicles of every make/model/age, over hundreds of thousands of combined miles with absolutely no ill effects at all. This includes 3 different Toyota Corollas, two of them being the same generation as yours. I've done drain/refills and top offs of whatever is in the cooling system with universal coolant, no problems with either case. The universal coolant really does assimilate with whatever is in the system without problems, don't believe the nonsense you'll hear about gelling, etc. Don't waste money on OEM coolant or even the aftermarket Asian formulas, there really is no need. By the way, the universal coolants I'm using are the cheapest ones I can find - house brands like Walmart's Supertech and Napa 1EXT, mixed with tap water no less. No problems at all.

Bad Advice ....... Just because you’re lucky and haven't had problems using universal doesnt mean no one else will . Same goes for Dexcool
I am going to run the accidental universal coolant a short time and flush out and inject in the pink Toyota fluid.
I’m hoping it doesn’t harm anything short term. I will call a shop and Toyota to ask also

Back