Auto Coolant Question

I own a2008 Toyota Corolla.
I flushed the coolant out for “Universal” coolant.
Is this oK for my car? How long does it last before another flush? Two years?
Thanks for any advice

Ideally you should use the correct red coolant like

81Toa7weADL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

If you do a complete flush, like 5 cycles of distilled water, you should be good for 100,000 miles or 5 years.

I also have a 2008 Corolla with 140K+ miles. I've been running PEAK Global Lifetime coolant since 70K. I don't think a 'Universal' coolant will harm your Corolla as long as you do a good flush first.
If you're concerned about the 2-EHA found in most 'Universal' coolants you could pick up PEAK 10X which doesn't have 2-EHA.

I also have a 2008 Corolla with 140K+ miles. I've been running PEAK Global Lifetime coolant since 70K. I don't think a 'Universal' coolant will harm your Corolla as long as you do a good flush first.
If you're concerned about the 2-EHA found in most 'Universal' coolants you could pick up PEAK 10X which doesn't have 2-EHA.
What's the difference between PEAK Global and 10X? And what is 2-EHA and why is it bad?

Universal coolants like Prestone All Vehicles are pretty good, when possible always use the correct fluid but will a universal coolant cause harm? likely not as long as it meets the spec.

I refuse to run Dexcool in my Chevy because Dexcool ate up the lower intake gasket. I went with the upgraded metal reinforced Fel-Pro gaskets and switched to Prestone. But for my Toyota it is keeping Toyota Red in it.

But if you used what it calls for to begin with you wouldn't have to ask this question or have to worry, so keep that in mind with future maintenance, fluids, etc.

What's the difference between PEAK Global and 10X? And what is 2-EHA and why is it bad?
PEAK Global has been around longer and is harder to find especially in 'concentrate' form.
PEAK 10X is newer and more readily available . Both have phosphates and neither contain 2-EHA which is found in almost every other 'universal' coolant.

When 10X came out a few years ago I assumed they'd stop selling PGL because they seemed to cater to the same customers. When I contacted Old World Industries to ask they said they would continue to make and sell both. Most Japanese car manufacturers recommend against using 2-EHA (2-ethylhexanoate) because it's a known 'plasticizer' (softens gaskets) but this is less problematic (or even non problematic) with recent gasket material upgrades.

All of Prestones coolants including the Asian versions contain 2-EHA so that's why I doubt the OP would have any issue using a 'universal'.

Atikovi: With over 15K posts I'm wondering if you are pulling my leg asking these questions as they've been discussed numerous times in the past?

I've been using Farm and Fleet green and yellow (long life) d now PEAK 10x coolant made by Old World in my Hyundais for years.

Universal coolants like Prestone All Vehicles are pretty good, when possible always use the correct fluid but will a universal coolant cause harm? likely not as long as it meets the spec.

I refuse to run Dexcool in my Chevy because Dexcool ate up the lower intake gasket. I went with the upgraded metal reinforced Fel-Pro gaskets and switched to Prestone. But for my Toyota it is keeping Toyota Red in it.

But if you used what it calls for to begin with you wouldn't have to ask this question or have to worry, so keep that in mind with future maintenance, fluids, etc.
I guess i screwed up at Jiffy Lube with my choice if coolant. Looks like ill be saving up for another flush with Toyota Pink fluid.
Live and learn. Love the Corolla though. Maintained best i can.

Ideally you should use the correct red coolant like

81Toa7weADL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

If you do a complete flush, like 5 cycles of distilled water, you should be good for 100,000 miles or 5 years.
Im saving up to have Toyota Red flushed back into the car.
Stupid mistake i ultimately made at Jiffy Lube.

2-EH is short for 2-Ethylhexanoic Acid. It's an older additive ingredient that is still used in some coolants today and it's known to be aggressive on elastomer components made with silicone...hoses, seals and head gaskets.

PEAK Global has been around longer and is harder to find especially in 'concentrate' form.
PEAK 10X is newer and more readily available . Both have phosphates and neither contain 2-EHA which is found in almost every other 'universal' coolant.

When 10X came out a few years ago I assumed they'd stop selling PGL because they seemed to cater to the same customers. When I contacted Old World Industries to ask they said they would continue to make and sell both. Most Japanese car manufacturers recommend against using 2-EHA (2-ethylhexanoate) because it's a known 'plasticizer' (softens gaskets) but this is less problematic (or even non problematic) with recent gasket material upgrades.

All of Prestones coolants including the Asian versions contain 2-EHA so that's why I doubt the OP would have any issue using a 'universal'.

Atikovi: With over 15K posts I'm wondering if you are pulling my leg asking these questions as they've been discussed numerous times in the past?
I can't remember every one of those posts and their contents. I usually just buy the oem coolant except the few times I'm working on older cars that originally came with conventional green. So even this new Prestone
6ba5a365-b019-467e-aea5-0e8eefe7fca3_1.d025e2b32197524cd4257e2bfa2b32a5.jpeg

has that 2-EHA and the Peak 10X is better?

I can't remember every one of those posts and their contents. I usually just buy the oem coolant except the few times I'm working on older cars that originally came with conventional green. So even this new Prestone
6ba5a365-b019-467e-aea5-0e8eefe7fca3_1.d025e2b32197524cd4257e2bfa2b32a5.jpeg

has that 2-EHA and the Peak 10X is better?
Yes...that Prestone has 2-EHA...the PEAK 10X doesn't. Whether that makes PEAK 10X better or not is above my pay grade but I prefer it especially in Asian vehicles because of their aforementioned recommendation against 2-EHA PS: Sorry for having those thoughts about 'pulling my leg'.

Im saving up to have Toyota Red flushed back into the car.
Stupid mistake i ultimately made at Jiffy Lube.
You didn't screw up, the universal coolant is perfectly fine. Don't waste money changing the coolant again. I have used universal extended life coolants ever since around 2006 in vehicles of every make/model/age, over hundreds of thousands of combined miles with absolutely no ill effects at all. This includes 3 different Toyota Corollas, two of them being the same generation as yours. I've done drain/refills and top offs of whatever is in the cooling system with universal coolant, no problems with either case. The universal coolant really does assimilate with whatever is in the system without problems, don't believe the nonsense you'll hear about gelling, etc. Don't waste money on OEM coolant or even the aftermarket Asian formulas, there really is no need. By the way, the universal coolants I'm using are the cheapest ones I can find - house brands like Walmart's Supertech and Napa 1EXT, mixed with tap water no less. No problems at all.

Last edited:
You didn't screw up, the universal coolant is perfectly fine. Don't waste money changing the coolant again. I have used universal extended life coolants ever since around 2006 in vehicles of every make/model/age, over hundreds of thousands of combined miles with absolutely no ill effects at all. This includes 3 different Toyota Corollas, two of them being the same generation as yours. I've done drain/refills and top offs of whatever is in the cooling system with universal coolant, no problems with either case. The universal coolant really does assimilate with whatever is in the system without problems, don't believe the nonsense you'll hear about gelling, etc. Don't waste money on OEM coolant or even the aftermarket Asian formulas, there really is no need. By the way, the universal coolants I'm using are the cheapest ones I can find - house brands like Walmart's Supertech and Napa 1EXT, mixed with tap water no less. No problems at all.
Thank you, that’s a huge relief. I appreciate your time

Bad Advice ....... Just because your lucky and haven't had problems using universal doesnt mean no one else will . Same goes for Dexcool

Still on original water pump on my Accent at 189k miles with cheap green and yellow now. Gen Coupe at 138k miles on the same stuff.

Depends on if you intend to leave it in until every thing is ruined or not I guess.

Back