Australian Grades - Honda J30A1

I think the Australian market might have been a little conservative about 20 years ago

1998 - 2002 Honda Accord J30A1 USDM -Export

5W-50 -40 to 0C
10W-50 -20C to 30C
25W-50 0C to 40C

Conventional 6000 km maximum
Synthetic 12000 km maximum

The chart doesn't go there but I'm guessing you would need a 60 grade for over 40C.

Penrite's chart for our '05 CRV specifications in Australia show similar grades.

They also show 5w-30 for the engine in our '22 MDX.

(y)

Up to 0°C? Appears to be a typo, makes no sense at all except for vehicles
specced for 10W-60 (older BMW M cars) and even that seems overly wary.

10W minimum above 0.
15W minimum above 30C.

I'm assuming the concern about the winter rating was because of potential for shearing. I think they may have offered some wide spread conventionals there that we didn't see.

10W minimum above 0.
15W minimum above 30C.

I'm assuming the concern about the winter rating was because of potential for shearing. I think they may have offered some wide spread conventionals there that we didn't see.
Somehow I doubt they are that sophisticated, but even if they are then I'd say it was deposit formation not viscosity loss.

Somehow I doubt they are that sophisticated, but even if they are then I'd say it was deposit formation not viscosity loss.

Possibly. I know it used to be common in the USA for manufacturer's to only allow 5W-30 to 30C. 10W-30 was required above that. I assumed the reason was VII shearing.

Possibly. I know it used to be common in the USA for manufacturer's to only allow 5W-30 to 30C. 10W-30 was required above that. I assumed the reason was VII shearing.
The only manufacturer that I've ever seen give a reason for avoiding wide-range multi-viscosity oils was GM and the that was because of piston ring sticking.

The only manufacturer that I've ever seen give a reason for avoiding wide-range multi-viscosity oils was GM and the that was because of piston ring sticking.

Consensus here in the early days was to use 10W-30 Conventional or 5W-30 Synthetic. I suspect with modern "Conventional" Group II/III Blend it's obsolete advice today.

Back