Austin....so over it

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't imagine it being worse than San Francisco? If you do not interact, they do not interact. Just stay focused on your task at hand...
No I doubt it, I was in San Francisco a long time ago, gosh maybe 15 years ago? It was bad.
My daughter went to college in the area back then.
She took me around the city, we came to the entrance of a park forgot the name but it was big, you could see families watching their kids playing soccer in the park. Like a lot of people, yet where we were standing at the entrance it was like a drug market and we were solicited!

I was in shock! Couldn't believe it, Ill never forget it right past the entrance were the families, lots of games going on and here right before them I had to walk past drug pushers openly selling drugs. The sight is etched in my brain. No I never encountered that in the NYC

I've lived in the Austin area for 32 years and I am so done, but I'm stuck because of all the nearby family I have, my parents live nearby plus all my inlaws.

What I really hate are all the non-stop positive articles about this being a great place. Just came across one again this morning.

This place is not even close to being one of the 50 best cities in the world. I am not sure what they are talking about. I've had the good fortune to travel around the US and the world quite a bit, this place is not even in the top 100. The infrastructure has not changed that much since I moved here in January of 1992, yet there are now literally 3 times as many people. We are so far behind. And it's so expensive now to live here. And the extortion property taxes. And we have a homeless situation on par with LA, SF, Portland and Seattle. Not to mention all the tech bros moving here from Silicon Valley.

I've moved about as far out as I possibly can while still being in the catchment area of a highly rated suburban school district. If I didn't have this consideration it would be even farther.

Austin sucks, there I said it.
How many 100% has your home's value gone up recently? Sell, and move to some place you like better. My area is now a refuge for homeowners from the Toronto area... As Toronto is now too this, that, or whatever their pet peeve is... Its good for the tax base I guess and the majority like country living with its pluses and minuses, and haven't tried to turn it into the "city".

No I doubt it, I was in San Francisco a long time ago, gosh maybe 15 years ago? It was bad.
My daughter went to college in the area back then.
She took me around the city, we came to the entrance of a park forgot the name but it was big, you could see families watching their kids playing soccer in the park. Like a lot of people, yet where we were standing at the entrance it was like a drug market and we were solicited!

I was in shock! Couldn't believe it, Ill never forget it right past the entrance were the families, lots of games going on and here right before them I had to walk past drug pushers openly selling drugs. The sight is etched in my brain. No I never encountered that in the NYC
I am in SF pretty regularly and have never had the homeless impede my tasks for the day. Not sure what to tell you...

The infrastructure has not changed that much since I moved here in January of 1992, yet there are now literally 3 times as many people.
Interesting you mention that. That was kind of the impression we got when we visited it about 2 years ago, driving around with a real estate agent scoping potential areas to move to. We weren't looking at Austin proper, but nearby suburbs. I got a sense that the area was under-served - not enough grocery shops, not enough restaurants, not enough roads, considering the number of people that now live there.

I am in SF pretty regularly and have never had the homeless impede my tasks for the day. Not sure what to tell you...
oh, no need to defend it, I only relayed an experience on the one time I was there. But you mention not letting people impede your tasks. That means you must see what I am saying, homeless etc... that isnt for me, for sure.

I've always found it's relative to what people are used to seeing. To me, every city is cleaner than Philly. Old City Philly is very nice, but outside of that not so much.

familiarity breeds contempt. longer you live somewhere the more you realize it .

No you are not "stuck". You just don't want to make the sacrifices to move elsewhere.
It would not at all be a sacrifice for me. I can work anywhere, and live somewhere I like. It would be a sacrifice for my wife and child, which if you're a decent human being, has to be a consideration. One doesn't sign up for a family situation then act like a single person.

Don't come to Florida, it's full.
;)
right... I was in the Krispy Kreme there on International Speedway Blvd during Bike Week and one of the locals behind me in line said to me " if I knew Daytona was like this, I never would have moved here"...

as I told him, look on the bright side its only about a month or so out of the year, you could be in Ft Lauderdale or Miami and enjoy the Zoo year round.

I've lived in the Austin area since 94 and watched it grow as well. I am still here until my kids graduate HS (5-6 years) then its time to pull up stakes and will either rent the house or liquidate.

The local suburb city i live in has raised taxes far above and beyond what is reasonable, city services that were free are now fees that are continually ratcheted up, the city council is clearly corrupt, the infrastructure has not kept pace, downtown is not safe anymore, the police do not actively patrol the streets and highways .. I could go on and on.

However there are cities that have done it correctly. I've been to NYC twice last year and it was really fun. I also enjoy overseas big cities much better vs any USA city sprawl.

Don't put yourself a situation where they can affect your day to day life. It is that simple.
I am not in a siuation where they can affect my day to day life. Here in the far out burbs, the cops can and will be called for merely gazing upon a residence, which from the sidewalk or the street is perfectly legal. I'm not that guy who does that stuff, but there's lots of entitled Karens and Kens out here who will. For a single homeless person there'd probably be 100x 911 calls.

Lived in Austin for five years, then Round Rock.

We moved to far west San Antonio about five years ago. It has its pros and cons but I like it more than Austin.

We are on the Medina county line.

No you are not "stuck". You just don't want to make the sacrifices to move elsewhere.
+1
I made the leap in my mid 20s and never looked back.
Moving away from family and old friends was the best thing I did for my physical, mental and financial health.

one of my friends moved from California ( LA) to a smaller town in Kansas..
town has a Walmart, a hospital and that is about it.
I asked him why he moved there and his answer;

This town has all of the things I need and none of the things I don't want.

I've lived in the Austin area since 94 and watched it grow as well. I am still here until my kids graduate HS (5-6 years) then its time to pull up stakes and will either rent the house or liquidate.

The local suburb city i live in has raised taxes far above and beyond what is reasonable, city services that were free are now fees that are continually ratcheted up, the city council is clearly corrupt, the infrastructure has not kept pace, downtown is not safe anymore, the police do not actively patrol the streets and highways .. I could go on and on.

However there are cities that have done it correctly. I've been to NYC twice last year and it was really fun. I also enjoy overseas big cities much better vs any USA city sprawl.
Yep, yep, yep.
The problem with Austin is that it now has big city problems with none of the big city solutions.

You mentioned the police, I forgot that one. They "defunded" the police in the City of Austin and that was a terrible idea that keeps getting worse, because what they really defunded was the police academy. But even before that, when I lived on the NE side near Mueller, they would not even come unless it was a violent crime. They don't have the staffing for it.

I got rear ended one night coming back from a non-profit event at the UT Club in the stadium and I got rear ended on Manor Rd. I literally took off in hot pursuit and stopped in front of the guy's house. The police would not and did not come even after I called 911 multiple times. I finally went to the ER and said my neck hurt. Then they came. They were able to track down the vehicle based on my description (late 90s Suburban) but still did nothing. My insurance company tried to subrogate but you know how that goes, nothing. So this guy caused $5500 in damage to my vehicle and nothing ever happened.

I was also involved with some of the city utility overbilling in South Austin that was covered in the media. They were wrong but refused to do anything about it. I was paying it down $300 at a time but then they sent it to collections. They further refused to make an agreement. So much for the little people. Shortly thereafter I moved out of the city after 26 years in the city limits. Highly unlikely I would ever go back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back