Audi E-Tron Technik

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
The Jeep interior was better, the steering wheel controls were better, UConnect is better.

That's funny. I actually feel just the opposite when it comes to my Charger/Uconnect and wife's Q5/MMI. Probably just a matter of getting used to, but there are some little details that Audi has worked out and incorporated into their MMI that I find missing on Uconnect.

The Audi is a LOT better insulated; it is a lot quieter of a vehicle and has far better sound deadening, but the Jeep had an incredible personality and the sound of it was part of that.

Yup. As I wrote some years back, the luxury takes away from the drama, and sometimes drama is what you want. All that luxury/refinement you get is getting in the way of that visceral/raw/unadulterated fun. This is one reason why I ended up with the Charger instead of Audi S6. The S6 is fast, yet too subdued in how it delivers that performance, and therefore feels "less fun."

You nailed it QP.

As far as the UConnect stuff, the main things I miss are the controls on the back of the wheel, which are a lot simpler and easier/quicker to use than the scroll wheels on the face. MMI has more features, but 99% of my usage is music and music shuffling, where I think UConnect and the wheel controls has the edge.

OVERKILL, perhaps call the dealer and see if they can help you out.
Your E-Tron must be in demand.

I was wondering about the size; is it one size up from the CR-V RAV4 vehicles?

I have always said EVs are not for everyone. Sometimes even I get it right...
Good luck.

Last edited:
It seems like many EV's could use the equivalent of a "tune"

My 2009 F150 5.4L would open the throttle plate halfway until 4500 RPM, then it would allow full opening, right up to the 5000 RPM redline. UGH. Shifts were soft as butter and the low to mid range power was sorely lacking.

Enter the 5 Star tune! Throttle plate now mirrors my foot, shifts are firm and the truck was transformed into a real pleasure! Huge gain in personality and fun. The 94 MPH top speed limiter was removed and 118+ MPH is possible. No down side what so ever in reliability, economy or feel.

Last edited:
You nailed it QP.

As far as the UConnect stuff, the main things I miss are the controls on the back of the wheel, which are a lot simpler and easier/quicker to use than the scroll wheels on the face. MMI has more features, but 99% of my usage is music and music shuffling, where I think UConnect and the wheel controls has the edge.

That's hilarious! The volume and track skip controls on the back of the steering wheel in the Charger is actually one of my gripes. Because they're in the back, they're not labeled, and I can never remember which is which, and inadvertently end up skipping a track when I want to raise the volume and vice versa. LOL! In the Q5, these controls are on the front of the steering wheel and are labeled.

Then there is the inability of UConnect to automatically advance to the next folder when it finishes playing tracks in the current folder.

Also, every time you hit "Browse" it takes you to the beginning of the folder list instead of staying in the folder you're currently playing. If you have hundreds of folders on USB drive, like I do, that's annoying.

Finally, I don't like how zoom functionality has been implemented in the Nav. As soon as you zoom out a bit, most street names no longer display. Also, there is some weirdness where at certain zoom levels the road you're on doesn't render all the way. It looks like you're approaching a dead end. And then once you do reach that point, the rest of the road all of a sudden appears on the map. Looks like a bug.

Again, small things, but irritating to me.

Reading Overkill's threads bring me back to the old days when we'd follow the vehicle purchasing adventures of Dakota/Chevyboy and NickR.

Originally Posted by Uregina09
Reading Overkill's threads bring me back to the old days when we'd follow the vehicle purchasing adventures of Dakota/Chevyboy and NickR.

Dakota is still on here as ram_man FWIW. NickR hasn't posted in ages, but I remember the period where he was doing the high vehicle turnover thing.

Give it time Overkill.

Serious question: Do you think there's a little psychology of "The neighbors think we're rich and no longer talk to us" going on? It's much easier to "fit in" when driving a domestic vs a "fancy" and "expensive European car".

Last edited:
Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
Give it time Overkill.

Serious question: Do you think there's a little psychology of "The neighbors think we're rich and no longer talk to us" going on? It's much easier to "fit in" when driving a domestic vs a "fancy" and "expensive European car".

No, because I had the M5 before and didn't think twice about it. It's the lack of personality the vehicle has that's the turn-off for both of us at this point, I'd say my wife more than myself, but it's definitely a thing. QP covered it pretty good in his earlier post.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete

That's hilarious! The volume and track skip controls on the back of the steering wheel in the Charger is actually one of my gripes. Because they're in the back, they're not labeled, and I can never remember which is which, and inadvertently end up skipping a track when I want to raise the volume and vice versa. LOL! In the Q5, these controls are on the front of the steering wheel and are labeled.

Then there is the inability of UConnect to automatically advance to the next folder when it finishes playing tracks in the current folder.

Also, every time you hit "Browse" it takes you to the beginning of the folder list instead of staying in the folder you're currently playing. If you have hundreds of folders on USB drive, like I do, that's annoying.

Finally, I don't like how zoom functionality has been implemented in the Nav. As soon as you zoom out a bit, most street names no longer display. Also, there is some weirdness where at certain zoom levels the road you're on doesn't render all the way. It looks like you're approaching a dead end. And then once you do reach that point, the rest of the road all of a sudden appears on the map. Looks like a bug.

I immediately fell in love with the rear controls because they are large and once you memorize which is which, easy to use quickly. I find the scroll wheel for volume clunky and the track skip buttons beside it something you can't use unless the wheel is basically straight, whereas I can typically tap the skip on the back of the wheel regardless of wheel position.

I don't use folders, so I've not experienced that issue.

Are you using the built-in nav or Google Maps via CarPlay? We find ourselves using the latter most of the time.

Of course the gripes are exasperated by the truck, which has all the same controls as the Jeep
lol.gif

I immediately fell in love with the rear controls because they are large and once you memorize which is which, easy to use quickly. I find the scroll wheel for volume clunky and the track skip buttons beside it something you can't use unless the wheel is basically straight, whereas I can typically tap the skip on the back of the wheel regardless of wheel position.

I don't use folders, so I've not experienced that issue.

Are you using the built-in nav or Google Maps via CarPlay? We find ourselves using the latter most of the time.

Of course the gripes are exasperated by the truck, which has all the same controls as the Jeep
lol.gif

Once you've gotten used to it on one Chrysler product, the transference is nice as they've been using those same controls for 20 years now. I've always wondered how many people go jump in a Chrysler product and think that the audio controls just don't exist on the wheel unless someone points them out.

The map issue I mentioned earlier was in built-in nav.

When I try to use Google Maps via Android Auto, half the time UConnect will not bring up Google Maps on the screen. It is either user error on my part or some incompatibility with my phone (Pixel 2).

The map issue I mentioned earlier was in built-in nav.

When I try to use Google Maps via Android Auto, half the time UConnect will not bring up Google Maps on the screen. It is either user error on my part or some incompatibility with my phone (Pixel 2).

Awww, that sucks. We both have iPhones, but prefer Google Maps, and it works perfectly every time.

Awww, that sucks. We both have iPhones, but prefer Google Maps, and it works perfectly every time.

Waze.

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk

Waze.

Google maps has the most current satellite and roadside destination data.

Apple maps has the best integration with car play splitting viewing modes showing the map and the audio as well as putting the lowest load on the phone.

Waze for me is still the go to road trip app -it has the cop locations and road hazard info the others dont.
The downside of waze for me is that it taxes my older phone a bit more and cause it to run hot if I'm multi tasking.

UD

Originally Posted by UncleDave
Waze for me is still the go to road trip app -it has the cop locations and road hazard info the others dont.

Google has started incorporating this data into Google Maps in more recent times. It was showing me speed traps on my recent trip a week ago.

Waze.

There are times when I can't get anything from my phone to show up on UConnect screen, regardless which app I try to use.

Waze.

There are times when I can't get anything from my phone to show up on UConnect screen, regardless which app I try to use.

Definitely a compatibility issue between your phone and UConnect IMHO, as our iphones always show up properly.

Back