Audi Challenging US Headlight Rule

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: redcon1
Holy [censored] I knew the collective was arcahic here but I had no idea. DEFENDING the DOT/NHTSA on quashing advancing technology, like they hgave been doing for years? Really?

01.gif

Originally Posted By: rfeir
I believe it was Audi's Management that decided that a purple flash was cool so they had it designed into their HID bulbs. I was a major glare problem for many people.

You believe? How about a source? I've never had an Audi, HID or otherwise with a 'purple flash'. I think you're thinking of the Pep Boys crowd with JDM stickers on their Hondas.

Holy [censored] I knew the collective was arcahic here but I had no idea. DEFENDING the DOT/NHTSA on quashing advancing technology, like they hgave been doing for years? Really?
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: BobsArmory
Wow, it's a $3,000 option!

And because of the abuse headlights get, assemblies tend to be throw away options. All the fancy upgrades to beam pattern and light source technology are fine and dandy. Five years from now, the assemblies will be so sandblasted, chipped, weathered, or yellowed, that an old fashioned yet brand new conventional sealed beam will beat them easily.

Now, before the other object that one can use a protectant (chemical or a physical layer) or simply take better care of their vehicles, we know that's not going to happen. I might. You might. But the average Joe on the road with the headlights that look like they're from the 1930s obviously did not.

Sealed beams??? That is old school.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rfeir
I believe it was Audi's Management that decided that a purple flash was cool so they had it designed into their HID bulbs. I was a major glare problem for many people.

You believe? How about a source? I've never had an Audi, HID or otherwise with a 'purple flash'. I think you're thinking of the Pep Boys crowd with JDM stickers on their Hondas.

Off axis the HID tends to look blue or purple, the ricers try to imitate that look.

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/201...-headlight-rule

Wow, read the article and Mercedez-Benz, BMW and (gasp!) General Motors are also joining the lobby for DOT to repeal the antiquated lighting ruling!

That blasted GM... always pushing the envelope of the next automotive fad... LOL!!

Given what the Government did for its Motors division, they should ask GM "How high would you like this high-beam legislation, sir, and do you need us to do it again?"

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: Russell
Sealed beams??? That is old school.

They are, but they work and they won't break the bank, either, each time they get a stone chip.
Cibe once made a sealed beam with a replaceable H4 bulb. Can't say they had "outstandding" performance but the reflector didn't tarnish.

I recall those! As for sealed beams in general, they provided a lot better performance than people give them credit for, particularly when they were halogens and aimed properly. There is some obvious value in having the lens portion replaced each time the bulb goes, or being able to replace the glass without breaking the bank when one is dissatisfied with the performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back