Attempted to sell my Popup camper .. So Frustrating!!

Some self storage places won’t rent you a space for a pop up camper. The reason is the owner gets tired of paying rent to store a worthless piece of crap they got tired of using and the storage business has to go through the hassle of filing for an abandoned vehicle title and scrap it less than it cost the customer to rent the space.I’d much rather have a tent. And if I had kids, old enough, I’d want them in their own tent while my wife and I do adult things.

I woke up during a thunderstorm in about 6 inches of water. It was at that point that I decided my tenting days were over. I'll sleep in the vehicle or on a picnic table or something before I sleep on the ground again!

You either need to fix the issues with the camper yourself or leave as is. Not worth having a pro fix anything on that camper. Unsure about new canvas. Does Coleman sell replacement canvas for a pop-up that old? Going to a place that does boat tops will cost thousands for custom made canvas and its backlogged 6 months to a year.

Been a few years since I looked but there used to be outfits that would sell new canvas for around a grand. Maybe that's 2 grand in the new normal, I dunno, but it was around a grand.

You either need to fix the issues with the camper yourself or leave as is. Not worth having a pro fix anything on that camper. Unsure about new canvas. Does Coleman sell replacement canvas for a pop-up that old? Going to a place that does boat tops will cost thousands for custom made canvas and its backlogged 6 months to a year.
This specific model has a cult following. You can easily get most exterior parts (except the body panel I need) and complete canvases for this.

But I'm going to hold on to it and use it myself as is for a few more years.

I have a pop up and I am quite familiar with them, and you're right, theres not much used on the market now and have recently became very popular. However, prior to covid I would say you have a 500.00 camper. Its very old, you have removed things out of it and the canvas has patches, not to mention its a very small one too. The only thing that is different between your camper and really nice, large tent is the dinette and fridge, and those Dometic fridges suck, really bad. A tent of the same size is about 300 bucks and you dont have to register or tow it.
Please dont take offence, Im not flaming it. If I were you I would just keep it. What were you asking for it?

Need to change how you're trying to sell it. Stay away from the internet to get away from those who don't show.

List it in the newspaper
Newspaper car ads are dead. Not sure how it is in your area, but here, I get the Washington Post and I see maybe 3 or for 4 vehicle ads at any one time. I got to imagine it's some seniors who can't use a computer. Used to be a whole section with 24 pages ten or fifteen years ago.

You run across old functional motorhomes that can't be given away. Costs more in labor and disposal fees than the desired drivetrains are worth in most cases and nobody wants an old shabby motorhome that gets 4 mpg and looks like it should be driven by Cousin Eddie.
Sold my 34 foot '88 Southwind last May for $5,000. Ran and drove ok but the walls on the back sides were rotting from water damage. Took months and months of Craigslist and Facebook ads to sell, but there is a buyer for everything. Maybe the pandemic had something to do with it.

002.jpg

Sewing tears in screening or sewing patches of matching screen material look 10,000 times better than tape.
Was the condition of the tires, bearings and lighting mentioned?

People do camp in NYS and they'll likely react more to something they can see instead of read about (as mentioned above).

My general advice for selling (anything) on the internet:

1) Ignore low-ball offers. You have ZERO obligation to respond
2) Don't make special arrangements to meet someone for them to look at it, i.e. delay doing something you had planned because they say they will come look. They meet 100% on your terms (period).
3) Don't meet them anywhere unless you prefer they not know where you live.
4) Don't hold it for anyone - first person with $$$ wins.

Some might think these things are rude. Try and sell things online and see for yourself who the "rude" people are.

Sold my 34 foot '88 Southwind last May for $5,000. Ran and drove ok but the walls on the back sides were rotting from water damage. Took months and months of Craigslist and Facebook ads to sell, but there is a buyer for everything. Maybe the pandemic had something to do with it.

View attachment 58890
You may be right about the pandemic and sales. I was mostly talking about 1970's and early 1980's motorhomes with Chrysler/Chevy big blocks. Countless free to good home ads but you have to take the whole enchilada with you. Just went and looked within 200 miles and found two but they are asking for big money now. $200 and $500 respectively. Stupid pandemic!

I have a pop up and I am quite familiar with them, and you're right, theres not much used on the market now and have recently became very popular. However, prior to covid I would say you have a 500.00 camper. Its very old, you have removed things out of it and the canvas has patches, not to mention its a very small one too. The only thing that is different between your camper and really nice, large tent is the dinette and fridge, and those Dometic fridges suck, really bad. A tent of the same size is about 300 bucks and you dont have to register or tow it.
Please dont take offence, Im not flaming it. If I were you I would just keep it. What were you asking for it?
$500 is significantly more than I had it listed.

Decided to hold onto it just incase i have time to get back into camping

$500 is significantly more than I had it listed.

Decided to hold onto it just incase i have time to get back into camping
you should be able to stitch patches on the canvas. use some braided spiderwire fishing line off a fishing pole and a partner inside you trust.

I sold my in-laws Jayco Jayflight for them off FB last year. It wasn't bad at all, but this was a ~$13K transaction. There's no way I'd even drag around a popup to a meet up place.

I never do the meet up thing if I'm selling anything off the FaceHole marketplace. You want it, you come to my address for it. You also have to be very specific in your listing in terms of your zip code, that you will not respond to the one click "is item still available" requests and you will only deal with people with a verifiable FB account (if there is such a thing). I've found this weeds out a lot of crap filling your inbox.

I did end up selling it in September. Had about 50 people message me. Ended up holding it for one person (I know, i know). He came and picked it up with his wife and 2 kids on the way back from a camping trip. They'll definitely enjoy it. It went to the right people.

I've been trying to sell an extra fridge that I have with the same results. All flaky people that say they will come over and never show up. Or people that want it but want me to deliver it and set it up for them. BTW it's a Kenmore side by side, that works perfect, water and ice in door, and is very clean. I'm asking $150 geez.

Back