Attempted to sell my Popup camper .. So Frustrating!!

So frustrating that I have decided to keep it!

I have only used it once or twice the last few years. Before that, I was using the thing nearly every other weekend. They're getting pretty popular. Last year a lot of people picked up camping as a hobby and it seems that it's still gaining traction. There aren't any popups available in our area new or used, especially small ones that can be towed by a Mistubishi Mirage.

I listed it for what I would say was a steal. I didn't pay much for it and I'm not looking to get rich. Just wanted it to go to a good home.

There is some body damage from the previous owners hitting a gas island. It was covered with tan duct tape ... which quickly turned blue. I took out the stove / sink as I find that unnecessary for such a small camper and around here , cooking in a popup or tent is asking for new pets. There's a few holes in the canvas which have been patched.

However, the lift system works, the roof doesn't leak and the ceiling isn't moldy, the canvas doesn't leak, it has new tires and the biggest things: It has original cushions in excellent shape and transferrable registration. The last one is the biggest thing ... you don't have to jump through any hoops to put it on the road. That, alone, is worth what I was asking.

Immediately upon listing it, I started to get a lot of hits on it. Some were obviously fake. But a few people were real and I had started to talk to them about it. Agreed upon a meeeting spot. However, I got stood up 3 times. Of course there were the I have $100 in hand now and I'll pick it up tonight!! Offers. Yeah ... That's not going to happen.

So I'm holding on to it for a few more years. I may actually try to recreate the messed up body panels and paint the thing a bit better of a color than 1980s beige on beige on beige. If I get it nice enough, I'll even buy a new canvas!

Where you list it has a lot to do with the quality of responses you'll get. Craigslist seems to be really bad scammer engine, marketplace seems a lot better lately. Of course after that theres no evading the minions of flakos window shopping for a perfect cream puff ...for a hundred bucks IN HAND! lol

The camper may fit your needs perfectly, but if it's really an '80s-vintage (that's 30-40yrs. old) pop-up with some duct-taped body damage, no sink or stove, patched canvas, and "original cushions", I wouldn't expect more than scrap value for it. If it does what you need, and rolls down the road without issues, you might as well keep it until it doesn't, and then junk it.

Asking too little attracts bottom dwellers. Fix the damage or make picture best as possible of damage (or just mention in ad no picture). I would not put more than $50 into it to sell it.

Also ask more money :) it will become in people's minds possibly worth more. If your price is too low people assume junk. I am unclear what you are asking.

The camper may fit your needs perfectly, but if it's really an '80s-vintage (that's 30-40yrs. old) pop-up with some duct-taped body damage, no sink or stove, patched canvas, and "original cushions", I wouldn't expect more than scrap value for it. If it does what you need, and rolls down the road without issues, you might as well keep it until it doesn't, and then junk it.

I know a few people who have sold ones in WORSE condition locally for $1500 this year. The people who ghosted me would have got it for $200 if any of them showed up

Last edited:
Asking too little attracts bottom dwellers. Fix the damage or make picture best as possible of damage (or just mention in ad no picture). I would not put more than $50 into it to sell it.

Also ask more money :) it will become in people's minds possibly worth more. If your price is too low people assume junk. I am unclear what you are asking.

Not asking, just ranting.

If I put money into it, I'm keeping it. It's something I'd like to get back into

I tried to sell a small utility trailer. It needed new decking and lights. I started at $400. Several months latter I took $200. I was to the point I was thinking of putting on new decking & lights. Then came $50/sheet plywood.

As for any any camper or RV older than 15 or so years, people expect to get it dirt cheap.

Reactions: JC1
You run across old functional motorhomes that can't be given away. Costs more in labor and disposal fees than the desired drivetrains are worth in most cases and nobody wants an old shabby motorhome that gets 4 mpg and looks like it should be driven by Cousin Eddie.

Need to change how you're trying to sell it. Stay away from the internet to get away from those who don't show.

List it in the newspaper or put a for sale sign on it and park it out front. Those are the customers that'll show up.

Need to change how you're trying to sell it. Stay away from the internet to get away from those who don't show.

List it in the newspaper or put a for sale sign on it and park it out front. Those are the customers that'll show up.

In these parts if you put a vehicle in your front yard with a for sale sign, the scrappers will probably steal it over night. However, that would get rid of it.

In these parts if you put a vehicle in your front yard with a for sale sign, the scrappers will probably steal it over night. However, that would get rid of it.
There is a successful seller in town who I notice has pop ups that old too. He chains them to a nearby tree but people stop and look in. There is a whole crowd off the internet who are looking too. They'll pull out flip phone to take pictures :)

The best place to sell a camper is In a campground. Pick a busy local campground, book a site on a popular weekend.
People always walk and look, they see your for sale sign, you have it set up, they can see every thing works and there are no leaks.

Having said that, a popup with no sink, no stove, holes in the canvas, and ductape on the outside, is just not that appealing for a first time camper buyer, which is the market for popups.

You just never know who might be shopping. My first one was bought completely non-functioning (broken cable).

I suspect you have it priced too low--no one is expecting that, and think it's a scam. CL has too many of them. I had no issues moving my last one, guy was prompt and I needed it gone. Then again, maybe it's just your area.

Some self storage places won’t rent you a space for a pop up camper. The reason is the owner gets tired of paying rent to store a worthless piece of crap they got tired of using and the storage business has to go through the hassle of filing for an abandoned vehicle title and scrap it less than it cost the customer to rent the space.I’d much rather have a tent. And if I had kids, old enough, I’d want them in their own tent while my wife and I do adult things.

The best place to sell a camper is In a campground. Pick a busy local campground, book a site on a popular weekend.
People always walk and look, they see your for sale sign, you have it set up, they can see every thing works and there are no leaks.

Having said that, a popup with no sink, no stove, holes in the canvas, and ductape on the outside, is just not that appealing for a first time camper buyer, which is the market for popups.

That's actually not a bad idea. When I started using it 5 years ago - it's condition is the same now as it was then - I had a few people give me their number to buy it. Small campers are a nostalgia thing. Around here, if you know anything about camping, having a stove and sink inside anything other than a hardside travel trailer is a bad idea. Most people around here will not use the sink or stove. The bears and raccoons WILL come in.

You just never know who might be shopping. My first one was bought completely non-functioning (broken cable).

I suspect you have it priced too low--no one is expecting that, and think it's a scam. CL has too many of them. I had no issues moving my last one, guy was prompt and I needed it gone. Then again, maybe it's just your area.

I think that's a possibility with the price. I wanted to sell it to someone who could use it rather than try to list it real high. Again, worse shape ones are going for 4x what I had mine listed for!

I threw afew pictures in this post. If I could get the body work fixed, I'd be all in for a new canvas.
0518211901.jpg
0518211901a.jpg
0518211901b.jpg

Last edited:
Looks pretty good to me. I find myself looking at campers again, mostly because I sold my truck and of course can't pull one, go figure.

I'd probably just get some aluminum flashing and make a repair to that corner. For the canvas, maybe finding some similar material to sew in... nah, that's gotta be hard to do, since you can't access both sides to stitch.

Back