ATT DSL/Wireless Router Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Running into an issue with using DSL and Linksys router.

Should the PPOE connection be done by the modem or the Router?

Should the Modem be in bridge mode and let the router do the connection and assign the addresses?

I am having an issue with no internet connection. The ethernet card keeps picking up a 99 xxx something I.P and not the 192 xxx
address it should. It doesn't seem to want to give it up either. I have tried disabling and enabling the ethernet card, ipconfig release/renew. Shutting the router and modem and computer down and restarting. This is getting frustrating!

I believe the modem should be settiing up the PPPoE connection to your ISP. It should not be in a bridge mode.

Your router should be a DHCP on your LAN (it should be assigning IP addresses to your local computers).

As for your Ethernet card not obtaining the proper IP address, check its TCP/IP settings to make sure someone did not enter a static IP there.

The router does the PPPoe. Perhaps your DSL modem also contains a router too; What model is the modem? "Modems" are MOdulator/DEModulaters and are involved only with the signal and not any protocols propagated on the signal.

You are trying to debug too much stuff. Plug your computer into the router; boot, If you can get to the admin page 192.168.1.1 with the browser and your default gateway is set (ipconfig/all) then it has NOTHING to do with the ethernet card. Then use the admin screen on the linksys to try to manually connect; it will tell you if it is successful or not; Have you set up the authentication there? if not then you can concentrate on that; We can help more if you give us the Modem model.

Last edited:
Slipstream 4100 modem

I believe her router is the WRT54GS

Last edited:
Funny thing is I have almost the same set up at my house so I am trying to set this other woman's the same. It is just defeating me. Mine at home has PPOE on the router and the modem bridged. The one thing I dislike about that is the internet light on the modem never lights.

Does the modem use the original computer's MAC address for verification? I wonder if I threw it off by plugging a laptop into the router instead of the desktop while I was working on it. (I was too lazy to crawl under the desk)

Last edited:
So you need to bridge the integrated DSL modem/router and do the authentication from the linksys. I think these integrated hardware devices appear to be more trouble than they are worth.

I have never bridged anything so someone will have to help you there.

You could also just use the linksys as a glorified WAP and 4 port switch, uplinking from the SlipStream to one of the 4 ports on the linksys (NOT the internet port); I believe this requires a crossover cable tho. You would also have to turn off the DHCP server on the linksys

Quote:

Funny thing is I have almost the same set up at my house

In IT "almost" doesn't really have meaning.... 8)

Last edited:
So I had at it again. I can get the plugged in main computer to get a 192.xxx I.P from the router. But the laptop only gets "limited connectivity" (No Internet) and shows a 169.xxx I.P which means the router is not giving it the proper I.P.

The modem is in PPOE and the router in Auto-DHCP. This is the only way I could get it to work and not lose the internet on everything.

2 other computers I set up had PPOE on the router and the modem bridged and they work fine.

My guess why the laptop is not getting a proper I.P is because of the set up being wrong.

ATT dude from India was not much help. Tried Linksys tech support online but I was not at the computer I tried to fix while talking to him so not much help there.

I've seen all sorts of setup when helping others with their modem:

1) Modem doesn't do anything but act as an ethernet bridge.

2) Modem gives you a private IP address (10.x.x.x or 192.168.x.x), so that you can reach it and setup the user name and password for PPPoE, then it acts as a DHCP server and gives you a real IP address you can use on the net. I think this design helps simplify the setup for PPPoE, and reduce tech support help, and no need to install those PPPoE on clients' computer.

3) Modem from 2 that acts as a router as well

4) Modem from 3 that acts as a wireless router as well.

5) Modem from 4 that acts as a log in server, and require each PC to use wireless security, and a PPPoE adapter, that needs to be logged on every time, for those paranoid ones.

IMO the earlier you use PPPoE the better, so if your modem supports it, let the modem deal with it. This reduces the complexity and processing that the router has to deal with and when problems occur you can always just plug into the modem and trouble shoot. It also makes router runs in a simpler fashion and therefore less likely to step on a firmware bug (all firmware has bug, so keep operations simple and stupid).

I have a question off topic but still related, I have att as well and was wondering if I would benifit from a newer modem and was thinking can I buy any modem off the shelf for ADSL or do I have to get it from ATT. And do I have to change anything with ATT like a mac address or anything like when doing it as well.

Doesn't make a different in performance. Most ADSL modem up to 3Mbps (or the newer one up to 6Mbps) are similar and the only differences is whether it has the PPPoE log in build in or not, and the internal channel setting.

If you get a modem with your line, just use it and save yourself the headache. If your modem died and want another one, go to ebay and get a used identical modem from someone used it for ATT in the past.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
Doesn't make a different in performance. Most ADSL modem up to 3Mbps (or the newer one up to 6Mbps) are similar and the only differences is whether it has the PPPoE log in build in or not, and the internal channel setting.

If you get a modem with your line, just use it and save yourself the headache. If your modem died and want another one, go to ebay and get a used identical modem from someone used it for ATT in the past.

I could not be happier with my 2Wire wireless gateway I purchased for $40 on Ebay for my AT&T DSL. I bought the one AT&T sells new for twice the price. When I upgraded to pro, I did not get it when they offered a discount. Connecting a router to my SpeedStream 4100 would get a slow connection at time or loose connection with the router. Now, no slow downs and I can turn off wireless on the wireless gateway since I don't use it most of the time. For someone like me who has little understanding of things discussed here, it has made my life so much easier.

Originally Posted By: refuse2
So you didn't have to do any thing with at&t when you changed modems just hook it up and put in all the relevant info.

I had the set-up CD that came with my SpeedStream 4100. I used it in my main computer and I just followed the steps to set up things. Once installed I was able to get to the page to configure, set-up a password, and change settings. Here is a link at 2-Wire.

http://support.2wire.com/?page=view&article=60

I just changed the default security from WEP to WPA-PSK a few minutes ago. Got out a old laptop and it connected right away. Pretty straightforward set-up. Of course reading a lot of posts on this website helped.

There may be other ways to set this up or others may be able to give you more details.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back