ATT Amsoil experts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Before I get flamed let me explain myself first :). I have a buddy who uses Amsoil he gets it through a friend of his. He wants to do a Scooby mix, mixing ASM 0W20 with SSO 0W30, for his own custom blend. Not sure on the exact mix but plans on running it for 1 year ~ 12,000 miles.

My advise was pick a grade and use it. He wants to beef up his Ford spec'd 0W20 for the hot summer months. I know they can be mixed, but.............. Any downside, will the Amsoil add packs be compromised?

TIA
AD

Amsoil doesn't recommend mixing, although it won't cause any harm.

Use the SSO 0w30 or their 0w20 year round and do the change just before the summer... No need to mix.

Thanks, pretty much what I told him. In his case run the 0W20 Ford spec's 5W20. Their 0w20 is pretty stout oil as it is.

AD

Tell him that ideally he should change the oil in the fall just as the temperatures are getting cooler so that the oil is at its best for the harsh winter season. Summer is easier on the oil so it should be just before he is ready to change it out.

This way the oil is at its best for the harshest part...
wink.gif

People have mixed oils with different add packs for years without harm. Your "buddy" could mix ASM and SSO without any problems. If either oil could be run all year, then certainly a mixture of the two oils could be run all year as well.

Some people just like to experiment, I think it gives them a bigger sense of control by doing that.

One solution would be to change the oil to SSO in the Spring and then go back to ASM in the Fall for the Winter months.

There's a big difference between "it doesn't hurt anything" and "it works well."
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
There's a big difference between "it doesn't hurt anything" and "it works well."
wink.gif

That was my feeling. Some people feel they know more than the company that built the car, others feel they are chemists.

Maybe the oil companies will catch on to the BITOG back yard blenders and brew us up a nice 0W25 or 5W25.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
wink.gif

Are you saying that if someone mixed ASM and SSO that it wouldn't work well?

I doubt that very much.

No one knows what it will do for you, but we can all conjecture LOL! If your buddy did do this I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. I recently made a Frankenlube myself. I mixed 2.5 quarts of DEO 5W40, 1 quart of OW40 AFF, 3/4 quart of 15W40 PCO, 3/4 quart of 0W30 SSO and 2/3 quart of 0W20 ASM for my Jeep Wrangler 4.0's most recent oil change. Viscosity calculated out to be roughly a multigrade 35...I just had a bunch of Amsoil partials and one offs laying around and wanted to get rid of them. It didn't blow up yet and actually has been quite quiet and responsive. I was going to throw the half gallon of Delo in there, but thought crossing the streams was not a wise idea LOL!! Will UOA in 7.5k...I'm not worried.

Originally Posted By: hate2work
Are you saying that if someone mixed ASM and SSO that it wouldn't work well?

I doubt that very much.

The point is, it's all relative.

Would the mix work? Probably.

Would it be better than, say, a conventional oil? Probably.

Would it be the best thing on the market? Probably not.

Would it be better than either oil on its own? Most oil companies say no, and that seems to be the consensus on BITOG as well.

Originally Posted By: pickled
No one knows what it will do for you, but we can all conjecture LOL! If your buddy did do this I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. I recently made a Frankenlube myself. I mixed 2.5 quarts of DEO 5W40, 1 quart of OW40 AFF, 3/4 quart of 15W40 PCO, 3/4 quart of 0W30 SSO and 2/3 quart of 0W20 ASM for my Jeep Wrangler 4.0's most recent oil change. Viscosity calculated out to be roughly a multigrade 35...I just had a bunch of Amsoil partials and one offs laying around and wanted to get rid of them. It didn't blow up yet and actually has been quite quiet and responsive. I was going to throw the half gallon of Delo in there, but thought crossing the streams was not a wise idea LOL!! Will UOA in 7.5k...I'm not worried.

Good Gawd...that's quite a mix!

Would LOVE to see a UOA on that!

Im sure AMSOIL did the mix already with the 0W20 to make it as durable as the SSO. most of the UOA with the 0W20 show great results.
since it is your buddy let him have his science project.
lets find out what he will try next oci

is that what you had lying around and decided to use it instead of getting a new order in?
or you just want to have a little fun?
post up the UOA I bet it will be interresting!

Will do lazaro...yup had a ton of partials and odd lots in the corner of my garage and just figured the robust 4.0 liter straight 6 would eat em up and ask for more!

Will do lazaro...yup had a ton of partials and odd lots in the corner of my garage and just figured the robust 4.0 liter straight 6 would eat em up and ask for more!

LOL! thats funny I knew that I have done the same for 12 years!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back