ATP-205 in Final Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the final drive seal on my father's bike seems to be weeping oil very slowly. I had some ATP-205 on hand (anticipating a future car) and it says that part of it's ability is to help reseal differential leaks as well. We have replacement seals ordered and on the way, but I thought trying the ATP re-seal might be worth a shot, seeing as I'd only need... maybe an ounce to mix in with replacement gear oil?

I don't know how many of you on here have ever done this before, but those of you who have, has it been successful for you--adding a seal conditioner to your final drive?

That stuff is 100% solvent but an ounce or so should not bother it too much, if you have new seals coming go ahead and try it but be prepared to do the job sooner than you would have liked to.

Thanks Trav! I don't know much about these additives. Being a solvent, will they deteriorate a seal if too much is used?
I probably mixed (haven't put it in yet) about 10-15ml of ATP-205 with 180-190ml of synthetic 75w140 gear oil. Too much?

That should be okay, yes strong solvents soften and expand the seal in the hopes of a tighter fit. If the seal is in fairly good condition and the leak is from shaft wear (of course you would eventually want to sleeve the shaft, an easy 5 min job and replace the seal) it may seal fine for a good while.

If the seal is deteriorated to the point it is developing crack, these products can have just the opposite effect and leak worsens.
Using anything for leaks is a Hail Mary, lets face it, we all know its not the right way but sometimes its worth a shot eg where the job to change the seal cost $700 in labor.

Nothing seals RTV once its leaking, keep that in mind if ever come across RTV oil pan, valve cover, etc gasket/seal, these will cause the RTV to really let go, ester based products inc oils (not the small amount of esters present in most oil formulations) actually attack RTV, it has a very low tolerance to it.

If there is any question of RTV comparability print this ou and keep it in the tools box. If any additives contain any chemical not compatible don't use it if the engine has RTV of any make or type, you just may save yourself a future oil leak.

https://www.kisling.com/wp-content/uploa...%20Silikone.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back