ATF recommendation for a Dodge sprinter ?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi men.

I see there are a lot of veterans here. After having been discharged from the Marine Corps ( honorably in 1972 - 0311 ground pounder, 9940 Vietnamese interpreter and radioman, plus I was a VERY high expert with an M14 ) where I won an all expense paid vacation for a year in the triple canopy of southeast Asia, I swore that I would never again join any group who would have me as a member : ) I've been monitoring this forum for possibly a year as a guest, and I feel it's time for me to join your group, and hopefully be welcome into the BITOG community. There is a lot of brain power floating around here, and in the past year I've learned more about oil than I ever expected ( or wanted ) to learn. All good stuff to be sure.

Let's get to the topic.

I have an 04 Dodge Sprinter which I purchased new. I have 17,000 miles currently on the van. Luckily I bought all of the Mobil 1~ 5-40 Truck & SUV that my local Wal-Mart stores had a few months ago, thanks to the recommendations of some good people here. I bought 20 - 5 qt jugs before they quit selling it...... although they still sell T & SUV in quarts. Needless to say that I'm set for oil for the foreseeable future. I also add 1/2 oz per qt of VSOT to the T&SUV. With an oil pan heater ( E-TIP ) , a diesel fired Espar engine heater that turns on only when the engine is running and helps keep the engine at operating temps if needed, and a diesel fired Webasto coolant pre-heater which preheats the coolant to near operating temps before the engine is turned over............ my little 5 cylinder diesel seems very content in the coldest weather.

I don't know a lot about ATF. I'm wondering if anyone has knowledge about how robust my OEM fluid is. I would like a recommendation if possible, to improve the performance and reliability of the transmission by using something other than the OEM fluid. My ATF is MOPAR intended for ' Crossfire/Sprinter ' only. My manual states to use ATF approved to MB 236.10 and MB 236.12. Synthetic Dexron III may be substituted. I'm wondering if an TES-295 fluid would work, and if so, would it be an improvement ?! Possibly something from Mobil, Amsoil, or Redline ?! ........or leave it alone and change the fluid every 20,000-30,000. I believe Dodge's recommendation is to change the fluid @80,000 then never again.......this can't be a good thing.

I would also be willing to discuss various aspects of my Sprinter's performance with anyone who might be interested in purchasing one. I've been very happy with mine. I'm not a chemist, tribologist, or even a mechanic, so I doubt that I could offer any meaningful advice beyond my Sprinter experience.

You guys have a good forum here...........keep up the good work.
Thanks in advance of your help.

All the best.....
savvy

Sorry I posted in the wrong forum. I moved this topic to

' Rear End, Trans, Brake, P/s Oils '

Could someone notify a Moderator to delete this topic here.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back