ATF overfilling problems?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm always checking my ATF on my Camry, and it just seems to be inconsistent when hot, I can't really see where it's at.

When the engine is hot and I pull it straight out it seems like there's a dip that I can measure, but once I wipe it, put it back in, and pull it out to read again, I lose the dip and get some obscure marks like spreading butter over bread.

I dont see any foaming, but if I did over fill what are the problems that may happen, I might have overfilled like 1/4qt - 1/2qt

Thanks everyone

Mine is a 2000 Camry 4 cyl, and this is what I do: After a long drive, park at a level spot with engine running. Slowly move the lever thru all the gears 'L' back to 'P'. Lift the dipstick & w/o wiping, read the dipstick level. The correct level should be at the 'hot max'. If you wipe & re-dip again, the reading will be over the hot max or in your case, all over the dipstick. I choose to ignore this reading bcos I would rather error on the overfilled side. My hunch is that when the dipstick is first removed, bcos the dipstick has to go thru 2 bends to come out, it coats the inner dipstick tube with ATF, therefore subsequent readings are not accurate. I noticed this problem only with the 2.2L Camrys, the newer 2.4L Camrys dont seem to have this problem.

I notice a very slight 'roughness' in shifting from 1 to 2 when moving off very slowly (esp when engine is cold). My hunch is the fluid is not climbing the gears quickly enough or the ATF oil pump is not working fast enough. But when I accelerate quickly, no problems. This toyota tranny is the smoothest shifter I have ever driven, the shifts are virtually imperceivable.

If you are having rough shifting all the time, it could be you are low on fluid or needs changing. I'd suggest you do a drain & refill using conventional Dexron III. Let me know if you plan to DIY, I could give you some tips.

About your ride quality, I'd suggest you stick with your stock 15" rims and fat 205/65R15 comfort tires, inflate them to 28psi cold tire pressures and you should get a reasonably comfortable ride. Unless of course you have modified your camry in some other way.

[ February 17, 2003, 10:46 PM: Message edited by: Ken4 ]

Ken4:

Thanks!! Glad there somewhere out there that has the same car and notices the same problems. I've checked ATF on other cars, and yes this camry seems to have the most obscure readings.

Ken, do you notice that the camry 4cyl seem to hickup a little when it shifts, and how the ride is kinda bumpy. I only have 22000mi on it too.

Ken,

Yeah I do notice the rougher shift at 1->2 when cold, it's still there when hot, but not as hard.

When o/d is off, or when pushing the throttle with a slight aggressive pressure, there's not much jolt.

As for my PSI on the tires, I have original 15" 205/65, just got rid of those horrible General tires at 19,900mi, and bought some Yokohamas. The General tires were already seperating.

Anyways, I have them @ 34 psi even though I think it's suppose to be @ 30/32psi, I heard overinflating a little bit helps the life span of the tire.

Camry is pretty much all stock: except spoiler and AMSOIL OIL + Air filter. Want to preserve my camry as much as possible.

Starting to get some slight knocking in the rear when go over certain bumpy roads, think it may be the strut mounts. A common problem for the 97-01 camrys

thanks ken

Ken,
What is the easiest/best way to refill the differential on the camry? It looks to me like the only way to do it is to find a long hose to reach the refill plug from the top of the engine.

I use this. They dont make em anymore, so its become my prized possession
grin.gif
 -

Although the differential does have a separate drain and fill plug the fluid does mix with that in the ATF. The dealer mechanic told me this and I did not believe him as my service manual says two separate housings. Well, when I did a tranny drain and fill and did the differential and filled that one first it seems that if you keep pumping in ATF into the differential guess where it starts to pour out of, the tranny pan.

So, all that drianing the diff will get you is more old ATF but it is mixing with the transmission fluid.

[ February 19, 2003, 07:46 AM: Message edited by: Spector ]

Spector, is that the 4 cylinder 5S FE engine with an automatic? I have '93 Camry wagon with the 4 cylinder and would love to not have to change the differential!

quote:

Originally posted by Spector:
Although the differential does have a separate drain and fill plug the fluid does mix with that in the ATF

Yes, when I filled up the diff with 1.6L of fresh fluid, I noticed 0.2L would spill over into the tranny side raising the dipstick level. But I do not think they MIX, bcos when I drained the diff the fluid was black and had lots of sludge, while the tranny was a lot cleaner. The diff is a real sludgemaker, look at the crap my drain plug picks up only after 3600km of use. I pity those new toyotas with a combined diff & tranny.
 -

quote:

Originally posted by Craig L:
Spector, is that the 4 cylinder 5S FE engine with an automatic? I have '93 Camry wagon with the 4 cylinder and would love to not have to change the differential!

My service manual is for both engines the 4 and 6 (I have the 6) but the description of the differential drain and fill is the same I believe. As noted by another though, the diff drain plug is magnatized and it does capture debris

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back