ATF OCI?

Status
Not open for further replies.
They way I look at is changing fluids is a whole lot cheaper and easier than changing the transmission, ps pump rack etc etc. I'd never go 60k the max would be 25-30k and that would be a full flush. 15-20k on a partial.

I changed the ATF on the 2000 GC at 73K. It looked good and smelled ok, but the trans was beginning to feel a little odd when it shifted. New ATF made a noticeable difference in the feel. I change it now at 30K intervals. Cheap insurance. I expect 200K out of this mini...

Originally Posted By: tom slick
I ask these questions to see if there is a reason for any of the fluid change rules of thumb. We seem to have engine oil down to a relative science but ATF discussions seem to be about fluid spec's application, and how to flush or best type of flush but not service life.

OEMs are spec'ing transmission fluids out past 100k but we still seem to come back to 30k or 60k intervals. OTOH engine oils are OEM spec'd 3-5k and we are pushing out 7-15k and bragging about it.

Excellent observations Tom. It took us several years to concede 5w20 was o.k. and in general, to increase engine OCIs. This, with many UOAs and anecdotal evidence to share. Unlike fleets/industry, the cost/benefit to analyze fluids is not there - just put the money into a fluid change.

With other fluids, we have little data to form opinions with. Even with today's extended life coolants, most here seem to change them out around 60% to 75% of their recommended interval. I imagine our reluctance to endorse longer intervals with tranny fluid is rooted on past history. The fact that we are talking about longer intervals is a sign that we are on the verge of changing.

Since we won't have UOAs to discuss, anecdotal evidence should be shared here.

My/all Caravans "had" a history poor transmissions. Supposedly its really fixed now, but none the less, it influences my decisions regarding my '05 (4 cyl., short wheel base). It has "lifetime" tranny fluid fill, with a 60K filter/fluid change recommended under severe use.

I went out on a limb and ignored the common recommendation here that filter and fluid change at 30K was mandatory...especially to get rid of break in metals, etc..

I did the cooler line exchange at 30k, followed by a pan drop, new filter, and fluid exchange at 60K. The filter looked excellent upon tear down. The fluid was still red at both OCIs. There was very little film on the pan and the usual muck on the magnet.

Based on this, I will continue this routine or modify/extend it slightly. That's what I have to share.

My Transmission has a life-time filter that doesn't need to be changed and would be a real pain to get out because it's on the inside of the transmission on the other side of the valve-body according to my technical manual. I change my fluid frequently to keep this clean so I don't have to worry about it. IMO Fluid is cheap and Transmissions aren't!
wink.gif

just checked the wifes 05 Rav4 w/ 23K. short trips. ATF is brownish. not red in any way. i told her to make an appt asap as it has never been changed and still on warranty

Originally Posted By: [RT
ProjUltraZ]just checked the wifes 05 Rav4 w/ 23K. short trips. ATF is brownish. not red in any way. i told her to make an appt asap as it has never been changed and still on warranty

Brown is normal due to the materials used. There's no reason to be alarmed. The dealer isn't going to do anything.

I have a Corolla that I maintain and it has over 50k on the original T-IV and the fluid is dark brown. The transmission shifts great.

ProjUltraZ]just checked the wifes 05 Rav4 w/ 23K. short trips. ATF is brownish. not red in any way. i told her to make an appt asap as it has never been changed and still on warranty

I agree... When I went to the dealer for the first change on my transmission it was still red and they told me it was normal for it to turn black before it needed changing due to the materials used, I told them to change it anyways because I wanted it done...

So is there any reason to run a premium ATF, such as Amsoil, Mobil1, Redline, Royal Purple, etc in normal service? If I am going to drain/fill every 30k is there any benefit to spending the $$ on "the good stuff" other then when it seems to "fix" a problem like StevieC mentioned.

So is there any reason to run a premium ATF, such as Amsoil, Mobil1, Redline, Royal Purple, etc in normal service? If I am going to drain/fill every 30k is there any benefit to spending the $$ on "the good stuff" other then when it seems to "fix" a problem like StevieC mentioned.

At 30k intervals and normal service, you could probably run tractor oil.

I would agree... In your climate and draining/refilling in such a short interval you could use any quality dino ATF oil that meets your specifications...

I would do the same, except I have really cold winters and the Amsoil being a Syn, flows way easier...

Originally Posted By: The Critic

Brown is normal due to the materials used. There's no reason to be alarmed. The dealer isn't going to do anything.

I have a Corolla that I maintain and it has over 50k on the original T-IV and the fluid is dark brown. The transmission shifts great.

I have the vibe 4 speed auto. Toyota T-iv fluid turns dark over time. I got 20k on mine, it's still pink. I'm about to do a drain/fill through the trans bolt.

I would change that fluid you described, I read that the trans in these cars are hard on the fluid. I may have read it here?

tom, I have used:

1) Mobil 1 ATF
2) Redline D4 ATF
3) Amsoil ATF

I am now running Amsoil ATF, and I can say that on my Turbo 350 it has made the shifts amazing, better than any other transmission fluid I have used.

PM me if you have any questions.

Originally Posted By: c3po

I am now running Amsoil ATF, and I can say that on my Turbo 350 it has made the shifts amazing, better than any other transmission fluid I have used.

My experience too!
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back