ATF-4 is it all the same??

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok so is atf-4 the same stuff across the brands? im coming up on a trans filter change and was gona use the cooler line method and replace all the fluid in there. amsoil is twice as much as mopar atf-4 and i think valvoline also has an atf-4. should i be worried pickin one over the other? seems to me that there might be some sales pitches in on atf-4 over the other....

I have used Valvoline, and Castrol. Both of which are good choices. There are other brands (AAP for one) that makes an ATF+4, however none of them state that it is a Full Synthetic like Castrol, or Valvoline does.

That is the reason I stick with one of them for my 300M.

When I flushed out Valvoline ATF+4 and put in Supertech ATF+4 the shift quality degraded, even after retraining the transmission. I ran that for about 3 months and flushed a second time with Supertech and the shift quality improved back to where it had been with the Valvoline. Why it degraded after the first flush I have no idea, but I went on a hunch and flushed the second time. If I recall, Supertech ATF+4 (Walmart) is $2.98/qt. and I use 12 quarts to do a flush by the cooler hose method.

I've noticed some 'feel' and 'pour' differences.
They're all blended to 'meet' a spec. Whether the blender is honest or is having a bad day is for you to decide.
I'll stick with the Castrol, Mopar, and Valvoline versions.
I won't bother with ANY store or generic brands.

A spec is meaningless without someone to police it. After reading both Amsoil papers, I lost some faith in label specs. I hope that name brand reputation is enough to provide a good enough fluid.

Quote:

The only +4 I've used is Valvoline, and it seems to work very well.

Make that 2...I have had good results with the Valvoline.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have 4 months on my Supertech ATF+4 and I have noticed no degradation in shift quality. Absolutely no difference from Mopar brand in feel or shift quality.

Brand names always cost more, but with this application I have not seen a justification for the added $$. Chrysler doesn't just hand out ATF+4 approvals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back