ATF 11,848 miles, 1994 Ford F-150 Trans

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is from an automatic transmission in a 1994 Ford F-150 4x4. It has been acting up when hot, and no computer codes, so I invested in a UOA to help isolate the problem. The pan was clean and the magnet had a normal coating of fine iron particles. The brand of ATF is unknown. It is whatever the rebuidler used, possibly Quaker State. The add pack looks weak, making me wonder why people insist that ATF has a lot of detergents and use it as an engine flush. Also, I wonder how good it is at protecting gears with such a low amount of zinc and phosphorus. From the high flash point for what is SAE 20, the base oil looks robust.

BLACKSTONE LABS OIL REPORT

UNIT
EQUIPMENT MAKE: Ford
EQUIPMENT MODEL: E40D Transmission
OIL USE INTERVAL: 11,848 Miles
OIL TYPE & GRADE: Auto Transmission Fluid (unknown brand)

COMMENTS
JIM: For being brand-new, this transmission looks good. We often see a lot of metal in new
transmissions. It's from new parts wearing in. We also often see high lead, which is marking
compound from the factory. We didn't really find any of that here, and we think your transmission is
looking good as it nears 12,000 miles. You've already changed this oil, so we think you'll find even
lower wear in the next sample. Run that one 20,000 miles before sampling, and don't change the oil at
that point. It should still be good to use. We'll let you know.

MI/HR ON OIL 11,848
MI/HR ON UNIT 11,848 (since rebuild)
SAMPLE DATE 02/05/05
ELEMENTS IN PARTS PER MILLION
ALUMINUM 2
CHROMIUM 0
IRON 24
COPPER 45
LEAD 11
TIN 0
MOLYBDENUM 0
NICKEL 1
MANGANESE 0
SILVER 0
TITANIUM 0
POTASSIUM 0
BORON 47
SILICON 7
SODIUM 30
CALCIUM 254
MAGNESIUM 0
PHOSPHORUS 211
ZINC 29
BARIUM 0

PROPERTIES
SUS VISCOSITY@210F FLASHPOINT WATER INSOLUBLES

VALUES
SHOULD BE 42-51 >335F
TESTED
VALUES WERE 45.0 375F 0.0% 0.0%

Look elsewhere for culprit???
dunno.gif
cheers.gif

Things look O.K. Phosphorus is about half of what my samples were.

Perhaps use the Mercon V which was introduced to provide a bandaid for Ford Auto Trannies.

quote:

Originally posted by Jimbo:
This is from an automatic transmission in a 1994 Ford F-150 4x4. It has been acting up when hot, and no computer codes,

what's it doing?

It was constantly shifting in and out of overdrive with the feeling of slippage. This was on a level grade at about 70mph. This is not a converter lockup clutch problem. I had that problem before and it has different symptoms. This transmisson model is known for multiple problems but it was supposedly upgraded with all the latest fixes.

Mercon V fluid is specifically prohibited by Ford in this transmission. The additional friction modifier probably leads to slippage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back