At what thickness do you replace brake pads?

Shel_B

Site Donor 2023
The brake pads on the Camry are getting a bit thin. I need to decide when to replace them. At what thickness do you replace 'em? Is there a generally recommended thickness? I don't know if there are thickness wear sensors on the current pads so I don't want to wait for a warning that may not happen.

Last edited:
Compare them to a sheet of cardboard. If the pads are comparable in thickness, replace them.

Joking aside, I replace mine every 50K miles, or sooner if they don't last that long. I got by mileage/hours for all maintenance items.

If you think they're too thin, they probbly are.

In your area, I thought brakes rusted out before they wore out. ;)
Rotors yes, pads not unless they are Wagner or Bosch. Did a brake job yesterday on a 2006 Subaru. I last did brakes on this thing in 2015 and used Bosch coated rotors at that time. I couldnt believe how good they still looked, no tv and no rot in the cooling veins and no rust ridge. Wish WOrldpac still carried them locally.

Rotors yes, pads not unless they are Wagner or Bosch. Did a brake job yesterday on a 2006 Subaru. I last did brakes on this thing in 2015 and used Bosch coated rotors at that time. I couldnt believe how good they still looked, no tv and no rot in the cooling veins and no rust ridge. Wish WOrldpac still carried them locally.
Probably because Bosch used “Geomet” instead of spray paint. A lot of these cheaper “coated” rotors are just spray painted.

whenever I think they're too low, or if I tihnk one of them is sticking, or if the brake light comes on and I know the parking brake isn't engaged.

Thanks for all the input. (y) It's helped me decide how I want to proceed.

I think 3mm is state law? The local shop got testy with me on it, as I am fine running to paper thin—at that point, the rotor makes a record look dead flat, so I don’t care if it goes metal on metal, I was going to replace anyhow. 5yr/100k plus in the rust belt, it all looks awful when busted apart.

But usually pads are cheaper than a good rotor, so ymmv and I can see why many would replace long before i do.

When outside pad is about thickness of brake backing plate. Mine are just about there.

Here’s an example of how it looks on BMW when the alert goes off (second stage)

D6FA44AB-4A1C-4199-BDEA-8C842DB7F970.jpg

Years ago, state inspection was 1/32 at the lowest point... poor brake jobs will sometimes have a front to back, or top to bottom taper, except for AMC which was 2/32nds

My ol' lady can wear her pads down all around evenly down to 1mm before I replace them. I inspect at every oil change and every rotation and can know when its time to plan the brake job.

I tend to have other brake issues so pads get replaced 'as needed' with any other components 'as needed'.

All my Toyotas have brake wear indicators. If one squeals, then its time.

Back