At what precentage is fuel dilution to high?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am having some fuel dilution issues on a few engines with my fleet.
One example:
Cat 3512 with 4700 hours current. 3400 hours on the oil.
86 gallon sump.
By-pass filtration.

The current sample has a 6.4% fuel dilution. Last sample was The current visc@100 degrees is 11.84. The previous was 12.93.

The TBN is 5.67. The previous was 8.0. At what point is the dilution % to high?

anything over 2.0%

Are you getting that oil hot enough? 86 gallons would take along time get to hot.

Last edited:
Yes I only pull the samples when the engines have been running for a while and are warm.

3400 hrs on the oil? It could be a bad injector leaking fuel or it could be how the engine is operated, if you let it idle all the time this can happen. A loose injector line can also cause this. Usually they stay around .5 to 1.0 percent fuel dillution.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes 3400 hours. The oil has a particle count of 16/13.

It has brand new oil now. We are going to trend sample every 50-100 hours on the new oil.

Is this a tug boat engine? How is the engine operated most of the time? Is it running at a heavy load and high rpms to keep it running hot enough?

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
Is this a tug boat engine? How is the engine operated most of the time? Is it running at a heavy load and high rpms to keep it running hot enough?

Pump motors. 30% load. I want to say 1100 rpm's. In the best case scenario one pump would run 24 hours then taken offline and then the other 3512 would run 24 hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back