At what point do you reject a new car?

Hello All,

I'm in the UK so our laws here are a bit different. I am considering attempting to return/reject my current daily driver. Alternatively I should be able to sell/part ex it for what I purchased it for brand new 11 months ago.

The car itself is a Vauxhall Insignia (Buick Regal with a different badge) which has a 1.5 litre 3 cylinder diesel engine which is basically a duramax 3.0 with the centre 3 cylinders chopped out. It even had the belt driven oil pump!

The car has been to the dealer for various issues since I purchased it...

09/03/2022 - 1 Day
The speed limit notification system was stuck in KMH, the boot was hitting the bumper when closing and the centre console trim was bubbling and lifting. They reset the speed limit warning system which didn't fix the fault, adjusted the boot which didn't fix the fault and ordered a new centre console trim.

05/05/2022 - 1 Day
Centre console trim replaced during which they damage another piece of trim around the gearstick which they outright denied. They also finally did a software update on the instrument cluster to fix the speed limit notification.

23/06/2022 - 1 Day
Noticed the car has damage on the rear bumper again from the boot hitting it and the engine is rattling when hot. They refused to touch the boot because I now have a towbar fitted and the bumper had been off for fitting. My colleague also has an Insignia and his boot is also hitting the bumper, so clearly nothing to do with the towbar installation. They were unable to get the engine to rattle despite me giving them specific instructions on how and when it happens.

04/07/2022 - 1 Day
Arrived to the dealer with my engine rattling. Called the service advisor out to listen to the noise and went back over exactly how to make the rattle happen for diagnosis. They were unable to get the car to rattle in the workshop. Made arrangements to book the car back into the dealer on the 18th July with a tech waiting to come straight out to listen to the rattling and take the car straight in for diagnostics. Courtesy car was booked out for 1 week to allow time for diagnosis and rectification.

18/07/2022 - 1 Day
Arrived to the dealer, no tech was available to listen to the rattling. Instead a workshop controller came out to listen and was told the tech won't be looking at the car for a few hours. Later on that day I had a phonecall to say there was a mistake in booking the courtesy car and to come pick my car up by 5pm. They weren't able to make the car rattle in the workshop. Car booked back in for the 26th July with the promise that a tech would be available for when I drop off the car to come listen to the issue and get straight on with diagnosis.

26/07/2022 - 4 Days & Counting
Arrived to a dealer with a tech waiting to hear to the noise. From what I can work out they've now had the car for 4 days, have no real idea what the noise is and are waiting for approval from Vauxhall to start stripping the engine.

Am I right to be fed up with this car or am I overacting and impatient?

Ask yourself. If the fix the rattle will you be happy? Then you'll know.

I think it's more disliking having others working on my car.

I was convinced the rattle was the crank pully or auxiliary belt tensioner but apparently they've warmed the car up to make the rattle happen, popped the belt off, started the car back up and it was still rattling. They suspect it's internal to the engine. Knowing where it's coming from I'm suspecting timing chain or the oil pump.

Can you go to another dealer? That one doesn't seem too helpful, but I doubt you can return the car just for a rattle.

Bit late, but yes. I think the issue here is more the dealer than the car. This dealer is about 3 miles from the house, and even closer to my office. The next closest dealer is a 45 minute drive away and they're a part of the same group.

I think it's more disliking having others working on my car.

I was convinced the rattle was the crank pully or auxiliary belt tensioner but apparently they've warmed the car up to make the rattle happen, popped the belt off, started the car back up and it was still rattling. They suspect it's internal to the engine. Knowing where it's coming from I'm suspecting timing chain or the oil pump.
Perhaps conjure Merlin (Nicol Williamson version) and have him scare the dealership into action?

Is it possible to find out if the engine has known problems? Maybe from an owners club or group?

I recall a friend of mine chased an engine rattle on a Chevy 4 cylinder diesel, and it ended up being the alternator sprag clutch.

Is it possible to find out if the engine has known problems? Maybe from an owners club or group?

I recall a friend of mine chased an engine rattle on a Chevy 4 cylinder diesel, and it ended up being the alternator sprag clutch.

I wish. Unfortunately the engine has only been around in the EU for a year or so and very few of them at that. The only place I find information for this engine is the 3.0 Duramax pages.

When I was chatting to the tech, he did tell me they have already replaced one under warranty for a manufacturing defect. I wonder if mine is going to be number 2?

Its new in warranty, so you have time for the rattle to get worse. Probably its a small item on the engine? Seems like getting everything buttoned down on a new engine design that's going into newer car is a bit of challenge for a designer and assembly line.

Whats the best way of putting videos up on here these days? I used to use photobucket many moons ago. Might be of some interest to some of you :ROFLMAO:

+1 Sounds more like a service department problem. As you say, laws etc. are different there. Here there wouldn't be any chance of turning it back in. It doesn't really sound like it's near that point anyway. Could be more options but breakfast is calling loudly. Seems like 1. Keep dealing with the questionable service department. 2. Drive to the other dealer with hope that in spite of being the same group they have a bang up service department. 3. Find a really good local mechanic and forego perks like loaner car plus pay for service rather than free warranty service. 4. Use what sounds like a pretty detailed mechanical knowledge and do it yourself, again losing the perks. Good luck.

Sounds good to me too...What your hearing is diesel injector noises and other "diesel" noises.

That high pitched buzzing and rattling is far from normal.

Vauxhal dealer are still waiting for approval from the manufacturer to remove the engine.

Back