AT tires with rim protection

Starting to look for some new 275/70R18 tires for the truck. Currently running Duratracs and like the look of them with the big rim protector, makes them look a little bigger than they actually are. Only problem is I dont need that aggressive of a tire anymore plus they are heavy. Looking for a tamer AT tires but some kind of sidewall look and not look super skinny, truck has 2 inch lift all around .

Attachments

• 20210905_203322.jpg
    20210905_203322.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 68
Given your profile, I don't see any need for additional "rim protection".
There are certainly less aggressive tires that'll reap you better fuel economy.

Given your profile, I don't see any need for additional "rim protection".
There are certainly less aggressive tires that'll reap you better fuel economy.
It is purely a looks thing lol. I don't do much "off roading" anymore, maybe the occasional muddy road or field

Continental Terrain Contact A/T is a light A/T tire that has a slight rim protector.

Are you sure the size is correct? Those F-150's are usually 275/65-18.

What exactly is a rim protector and how is it different than running just a wide tire that extends past the rim?
It's a 3/8 "lip" I guess you could say that extends bast the rim. Gives a little wider tire without having to go wider. Not much room on an F150 between the sidewall and the UCA without going spacers or new rims. Also, 275/70 has the best variety and price in 18 inch

Attachments

• Goodyear-Duratrac.jpg
    Goodyear-Duratrac.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 8
What exactly is a rim protector and how is it different than running just a wide tire that extends past the rim?
A rim protector is a slab of rubber in the lower sidewall area the extends beyond the edge of the rim. Here an image of a tire with one. Notice how the tire has a "peak" just above the rim and it extends outwards beyond the rim's edge.

fb_2377923472532783_2048x1365.jpg

8818BA28-200B-4AE3-864E-6EEB70E56822.jpeg
I went with 275/70R18 in the General ATx for my truck. Not much of a rim protector but a true “does everything good” all terrain tire.

IME you’d probably give up some deep mud capabilities but gain a smoother and quieter on road experience coming from the Duratrac.

Back