At GM...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the correct location. It is ironic that the #1 selling car has so much USA made content. I'll probably go with Toyota on my next purchase considering my own experience with that make over many years and miles. I would be interested to tour the place if I was ever there. The newest Camry looks great.

When I worked at chrysler in the late 70's we had an hourly lot and management lot. Company policy was management had to drive chrysler to use there lot. Hourly they had no say. Our newly hired foreman had to park in the hourly lot cuz he already owned a Camaro. This was company policy and had nothing to do with the union.

Originally Posted By: clinebarger
Originally Posted By: Leo99
The whole buy American mantra is what allowed the Big 3 to produce such [censored] cars for so many years.

I'm looking at a used car for my son. My 2003 Corolla with 200k miles is worth more than a 2003 Malibu with 70k miles. That's just sad.

Every 10 years I hear that American cars are "just as good" as Toyota or Honda. I don't believe it. I'd like to believe it. But I don't.

If the Big 3 made a great product they wouldn't need this [censored] parking rules.

I HATE my 2010 Corolla at 75,000, I would gladly trade it for a LS4/4L65E Impala SS with a smoked transmission!!!!

If I had an Impala SS I would gladly trade you straight up for your Corolla...I drive 3K miles a month and my cars end up with a ton of miles by the time they hit the grave yard and I know the Toyota will go the distance...not so sure the Impala would last as long, and it would certainly require more repairs...

Not quite sure I get the parking idiocy. So what if you're an employee of one automaker and you drive a different make? That would be like working for Dell computers and the company makes you park out in the boonies if they found out you have a Gateway computer...stupid...

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

It's really sad that the unions participation in politics is not representative of the rank and file's political mix. All the moolah overwhelmingly supports only one side of the aisle...

You should see how UAW endorsements are procured in state and county level politics.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
My Elantra came from the Alabama plant assembled by americans with parts from Korea. How is that different than a chevy assembled here with parts from Mexico?

Aren't the engines also made in Alabama?

Originally Posted By: GiveMeAVowel
Originally Posted By: MCompact
I buy what makes me smile- regardless of where it's built. That said, all things being equal I'll give the nod to the vehicle that is NOT assembled by a UAW plant.

You do know that those BMWs were made with UNION labor?

European unions are everywhere.. not like the UAW at all.

Originally Posted By: Ethan1
It has nothing to do with the country of production. If you don't like it, go get a job at Honda. A lot of Honda factory jobs are in Japan, so good luck if you only speak English. If you do end up getting a job working for Honda, the profits from the cars you make are being sent overseas. That's why it's called a "Japanese" automaker and that's why GM is an "American" automaker. Do you actually not understand this or are you just being ridiculously disingenuous in order to troll people?

No car will ever be 100% American-made again unless the world achieves widespread income equality because there will always be some peasants who will do anything for a few cents a day somewhere in BFE. It's not bad that people in other countries have jobs. Cars aren't automatically bad if they're made in Nowhereistan. Economic injustice is bad, though.

It's pretty sad that what determines an American company is where the profits from that vehicle go. What ever happened to taking pride in the product you build? An American company should build their vehicles in America...period! If they can't take enough pride in their products to build them here, then they are nothing but a foreign company in my book...who cares where the profits go?

Originally Posted By: wirelessF
How about rebadged import vehicles like the Pontiac Vibe (Toyota Matrix) and it's latest rebadge the Chevy City Express (Nissan NV200?)

Ironically, the Vibe/Matrix and the Corolla/Prizm may have been built by the UAW at the NUMMI plant before it closed.

I wonder how they would handle those. A UAW built Corolla hauled off might make the news
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
grampi,

CEO decides where products should be made.

Profits goes to shareholders and paid out in dividends.

What difference does that make? If a company decides to make their products in a foreign country, then that company is a foreign company in my book...

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Purpose of this thread? To hate America? That's the only thing I see.

Go buy your Japanese and Korean cars and send all our money and jobs overseas while their governments block imports of our products.

If I owned the company, I wouldn't even let you park a foreign vehicle on the property.

What make / model car do you own ?

Originally Posted By: dishdude
It's a 2013 ATS,

When I finished University, I scored/unscored a Job with Frod...management were committed to downsizing, while recruitment hadn't been told...alas, would have been fun...would have been necked in 2017, and that's not off the cards here either.

But when they were negotiating, they explained their policy of leasing cars to employees...part of it was certainly to stack the carpark, and also to get more used vehicles onto the lots.

Slow sellers you could lease for $15/week...but they were the Ford Corsair (A Nissan Pintara rebadged), that were really slow sellers. An F100 was way more expensive, asn they were a desirable model.

Different way of stacking the carpark for sure.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
I HATE my 2010 Corolla at 75,000, I would gladly trade it for a LS4/4L65E Impala SS with a smoked transmission!!!!

Why do you have your 2010 Corolla?

The Wife thought it was cute & Got for a good price, I traded in a nice '96 Bonneville SSEI for it, Still regret that one!

Originally Posted By: supton

I had to look it up. LS4 is a 5.3L V8. Small difference, I4 econobox vs V8 mid size?

I like power & room, MPG is not much of a concern to me, This is the first subcompact I have ever owned, & hopefully the last.
Been driving it the last 2 weeks, My wife generally drives it, Maybe that's why I really hate it right now, I'm 6'3"...I am very uncomfortable, The seat does not go back far enough, The steering is very weird...I cant seem to find center...That maybe because I'm folded up in the car, The engine has no torque...Therefore the trans is very active. The windshield feels like it is right over me (Like a greenhouse in the Texas sun)...Feels like the A/C cant keep up, Of coarse with the Sun Load...It can't. And yes I have tint on all side windows & rear window.

grampi,

CEO decides where products should be made.

Profits goes to shareholders and paid out in dividends.

Yes, and their hands are FORCED by the said dividend greedy shareholders into using more and more foreign made parts/labor in order to compete with the foreign nameplates which have the ONE sided advantages of; 'dumping' their home made products for MANY years, saving BOTH taxes (IF not outright being PAID by local governments to build/staff plants here) AND shipping costs (as well as the VERY few actual tariffs we place on imports) for opening 'transplants here.
frown.gif

And then they also get that apologist's 'pat on the back'/gushing approval/praise from those on here, as well as the general public for employing U.S. citizens out of the goodness/kindness of their blessed little hearts

Yup, their WIN WIN WIN (for THEM) PR/business/profit stunt is bought by most of the U.S. lock, stock, and barrel.
mad.gif

Originally Posted By: grampi

If I had an Impala SS I would gladly trade you straight up for your Corolla...I drive 3K miles a month and my cars end up with a ton of miles by the time they hit the grave yard and I know the Toyota will go the distance...not so sure the Impala would last as long, and it would certainly require more repairs...

Your right, The Impala will need a transmission at one point or another...LOL.

Even you have to admit, GM vehicles are more reliable than people paint them to be, And Toyotas are not as reliable.
Are Toyota cars more reliable...I would say yes, But not by the huge margin people think!

Originally Posted By: grampi

Your right, The Impala will need a transmission at one point or another...LOL.

Even you have to admit, GM vehicles are more reliable than people paint them to be, And Toyotas are not as reliable.
Are Toyota cars more reliable...I would say yes, But not by the huge margin people think!

I would say GMs larger vehicles are more reliable than they get credit for...their compacts and sub-compacts have a ways to go yet, otherwise, I agree...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back