Astro van ease of maintenance?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The doghouse on most American vans like the Astro/Aerostar makes things somewhat more tolerable. Mechanically similar to the S-10, the LMI gaskets are a sore point on the mid-1990s Vortec 4.3/5.7 engines and there's a quirky CPI/CSPI fuel system on those. Once the intake gaskets are done and maybe the CSPI spider is replaced with the new MPI setup the engine should be a good solid, if not a bit of a dog.

Since you're an audio guy and need juice to run your gear, you can install a bigger alternator from another Chevy/GMC truck like a CS144 in place of the stock 100-120amp Delco CS130 series on those GM truck engines. However, GM did use some odd 2-unit or 1.5DIN head units so beware - both things easily fixed.

Last edited:
We had the A-van years ago - put 90k on it and nothing ever went wrong with it.
Actually did not drive bad with a conventional drivetrain like a small truck has.

Originally Posted by clinebarger
Varies greatly depending on the year! Condition is everything, The later 6 lug vans have better brakes but have unit/hub front wheel bearings.

The front 4 spark plugs are easily done through the wheel wells with the frontend jacked up & a long extension.

Huh, never thought to do that. I was a teen back then and so it goes without saying that I might not have been all that bright... but I recall always doing the plugs from inside the van. Bandaids were always needed afterwards. Want to say it was the rear two plugs that were the worst, but it's also been 25 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back