Is the new CR-V really that bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was looking for a SUV for my home caregiver, who cared for my Dad for more than 5 years; no easy task because he was not such a nice man.
I was set on the new RAV4 Hybrid; ready to buy.
Due diligence had me test drive a CR-V EXL. I loved it.
It rode and drove clearly better than the expensive RAV4.

There is no better mid-size SUV out there.
I paid just under $28K plus tax and license for a black/black EXL 2WD.
Next step up ls Lexus.

Mani CRV.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Chris Meutsch
I have the last of the Japanese made ones, 2005. It's why I ponder 24/7 if I should rebuilt the transmission or not at this point. The rest of the car is solid and everything works. 275k.

Your 2005 is The LAST of the Japanese made CR-Vs? I had a 2009 purchased in New Mexico and it was made in Satsuma Japan

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ammolab
Originally Posted by Chris Meutsch
I have the last of the Japanese made ones, 2005. It's why I ponder 24/7 if I should rebuilt the transmission or not at this point. The rest of the car is solid and everything works. 275k.
Your 2005 is The LAST of the Japanese made CR-Vs? I had a 2009 purchased in New Mexico and it was made in Satsuma Japan

East Liberty OH didn't start full production of CR-Vs until 2007 so ones made in '05 definitely weren't the last made in Japan. Yours having been made in Japan isn't unusual as Honda may have taken 2+ years to ramp up production at the Ohio plant or they simply chose to produce them at both locations. We have a '99 Honda Accord that was built in Japan while Accords have been built in Marysville OH since 1982. I think it had to do with high demand (it was either the # 1 or # 2 best selling car around that time).

A 2wd CRV is NOT an SUV/CUV.

Its a jacked up Civic hatchback with some bling on it. (shared platform)

I used to laugh at the Lawn Tractor rear diff and tiny axles on the back of the 4wd CRV.

I guess I dont like them or Honda

It appears the CRV's safety suit is excellent though.- passive and active.

You buys what you like. I have inherent bias over bad past experience.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite

I used to laugh at the Lawn Tractor rear diff and tiny axles on the back of the 4wd CRV.

Sorry, but it's a CUV.

Don't Subaru's also have lawn tractor rear diffs and tiny axles?

Originally Posted by FordBroncoVWJeta

And little rubber-band CVT's! LOL!

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
CR-V has the best resale value by quite a margin, I believe.
There is a reason for it.

Is that reason the same reason the Jeep Wrangler's is significantly higher?

Originally Posted by Ws6
Originally Posted by FordBroncoVWJeta

And little rubber-band CVT's! LOL!

No.
IMO. Honda lost their soul after Soichiro Honda died.

Quick Story. Wife's engine was getting a bit clacky on her base Civic SOHC.
Popped off the VC to check lash; a few were loose a couple tight.
Started a lash adjustment and couldn't get repeatable confirmation on set lash.
The I noticed the rockers were VERY sloppy on the rocker shaft.
It appeared to be excessive wear at this interface. I did my best .

That Fall the CAT melted down into a lump in the converter can.
I traced it to crazing/ tracking inside the combo coil/cap . Went to get another at the Honda dealer and THAT cap had mold meld lines
from center button out to 2 cylinder terminals. Garbage.factory critical parts. Noticed condensation in the cap in cool weather

Traded the car for a Subaru Loyal in the early 90'sand never looked back.

A few year before that , the '83 Accordion Hatch put me into a telephone pole. Car Tried to kill me

So, tongue out raspberry!
smile.gif

Last edited:
If I drove it and liked it, I'd buy it. The CR-V is one of the best looking CUV in its segment.

You really should have driven a Forester.
A little more coin but you do get what you pay for.

I don't know if I'd go with the new CRV, although I'm sure it's a solid vehicle. We just traded in a 2009 CRV with the 2.4L and it was a tank. That thing was unstoppable. The nice, simplistic Honda 2.4L will run forever. Not sure about the Honda 1.5T, but Honda is known for making great engines.

I would look at the Mazda CX3 or CX5 with the 2.0L. Very reliable with no known fuel dilution issues. Engines are solid.

Originally Posted by buster
I don't know if I'd go with the new CRV, although I'm sure it's a solid vehicle. We just traded in a 2009 CRV with the 2.4L and it was a tank. That thing was unstoppable. The nice, simplistic Honda 2.4L will run forever. Not sure about the Honda 1.5T, but Honda is known for making great engines.

I would look at the Mazda CX3 or CX5 with the 2.0L. Very reliable with no known fuel dilution issues. Engines are solid.

I've been very happy with my cx5. Plenty of speed, nearly 30mpg in daily driving if I keep my foot out of it, and the 310# of torque by 2000rpm makes hills effortless. The HUD is nicer than I'd thought it would be, and radar cruise has been implemented perfectly. Love the air conditioned seats after jujitsu or lifting or [censored], just on a warmer day.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Ws6

I've been very happy with my cx5. Plenty of speed, nearly 30mpg in daily driving if I keep my foot out of it, and the 310# of torque by 2000rpm makes hills effortless. The HUD is nicer than I'd thought it would be, and radar cruise has been implemented perfectly. Love the air conditioned seats after jujitsu or lifting or [censored], just on a warmer day.

CX5 is nice!

Off-topic: How do you like JJ? I did BJJ for 2 months but had to stop. It was between that and Judo. At 42, Judo is harder on the body.

Originally Posted by Ws6

CX5 is nice!

Off-topic: How do you like JJ? I did BJJ for 2 months but had to stop. It was between that and Judo. At 42, Judo is harder on the body.

It's very useful. It takes strength way down on the list of importance in the equation. All the other things I've done, strength, speed, and aggression could make up for years of skill if there was a disparity. BJJ makes experience and skill #1. Also, it is not useful only against itself like Krav and other things. It has legit real world usefulness. If you deal with people like I do, violence is something you need to understand and be proficient in. BJJ helps a lot.

Originally Posted by Ws6
Originally Posted by Ws6

CX5 is nice!

It's very useful. It takes strength way down on the list of importance in the equation. All the other things I've done, strength, speed, and aggression could make up for years of skill if there was a disparity. BJJ makes experience and skill #1. Also, it is not useful only against itself like Krav and other things. It has legit real world usefulness. If you deal with people like I do, violence is something you need to understand and be proficient in. BJJ helps a lot.

cheers3.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back