Assembly 747-8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually I was going to watch it take off from where I live in North Everett, WA. I would be able to watch it take over the bay to the North of Paine Field. I saw the 787 take off awhile back.

It was supposed to take off at 10AM. There were too many clouds out. But they cleared up after a couple of hours.

The 747s are certainly a nicer looking plane than the A380

Originally Posted By: sparkplug
Beautiful landing! I love the 747. I don't care how 'dated' they are.

I agree!!!! Beautiful Bird. We build the FADEC's for the GEnx engines. I've been to Everett a few times. I have the utmost respect for all the people that build these planes. I wander how much the primer/paint weighs on that thing. Thats a lot of surface area to cover.

Thanks for sharing

Last edited:
What is dated about them? They are equipment and have a job to do and do it well. Take the Hercules transporter planes for example. DC3
27.gif

Originally Posted By: Steve S
What is dated about them? They are equipment and have a job to do and do it well. Take the Hercules transporter planes for example. DC3
27.gif

The Airbus fan boys think the 747 is dated compared to the A380. At least the 747 doesn't look like a horse suppository...

The 747 has design roots that hark back to the days of the Boeing SST program, the 2707, although there is no engineering comonality, and the guy (Joe Sutter), who served as chief engineer on the 747 project was pitied for having been asigned this lumbering transport versus a spot on what turned out to be the stillborn SST.
The 737 has design roots from the same era, and the 5000th (albeit NG) 737 was delivered last December, with a huge order backlog remaining.
When your project is a subsonic transport, a lot of what matters was actually well known more than forty years ago, with many tweaks incorporated since.

Originally Posted By: oilboy123
Yes the A380 is big, I give it that, make that Big and UGLY...

I guess we will see how the market does for the big birds over the years.
I would bet the need for airfreight will keep them in the air.

Doubtful.
The planned freight version was pushed out to some future date by Airbus, and the A380 in its current form is only suitable as a large low-density freighter.
A Fedex or UPS, both of which ordered the planned freighter, might be interested in the future, or might not.
Certainly, there is not a large market for new build freight aircraft. Most are converted from old passenger airplanes.
Current A380 passenger aircraft may find a future life as freighters in fifteen or twenty years.
The current version lacks the useful load to be really useful for high density cargo, and the floor between the two decks is structural and cannot be removed, which limits the utility of the aircraft in carrying large volume items, for which the 747 is well suited.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Doubtful.

Most are converted from old passenger airplanes.

This is exactly what Fed Ex has been doing besides the new order of the 777. I was in the jumpseat on a brand new Fed Ex MD-10 last month. It's only been out of the shop for 4 days. The flight deck was brand new, being converted from a DC-10 to the MD-10 and the seats in the back were old with American Airlines logo on it.

Not just Fedex.
Conversions of old pax aircraft are the norm in the freight world.
The conversion from DC-10 to MD-10 eliminates the second officer, reducing flight crew to two.
It is not unusual to see old 747 and DC-10 aircraft that have been used as freighters offered for sale by brokers with well over 100K hours.
OTOH, there is a major US carrier that has recently opererated DC-9s beyond 100K hours and, I think, up to 90K cycles in scheduled pax service.
The same carrier ran DC-10s well beyond 100K hours, although with far fewer cycles.
The DC-8 has had a long second life in freight service, unlike the 707.
The old Doug designs were quite tough.

We are currently doing the Flight Management System and Flight Control System of the 747-8 at Honeywell here in Phoenix. The 747-8 just did a fly-over last week at Deer Valley Airport (DVT) and it was a beautiful sight. I am scheduled to be on a test flight in August on the same bird in the link above.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
I hope the 747-8 is successful.

I'm sure it will. Being able to carry more pax than the -400 and being 16% more efficient than the -400 I see airlines retiring the older -400 within 7 years.

Do you think the A380 will take the 747's marketshare? It doesn't seem to make sense to have both for some airlines.

Originally Posted By: asiancivicmaniac
Do you think the A380 will take the 747's marketshare? It doesn't seem to make sense to have both for some airlines.

Most airline want to save on fuel cost, that's why the 787 was a big hit. So i doubt the A380 will take the 747 market.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back