Ariens riding mower drivetrain lubrication

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
Curious how the drivetrain lube works on Ariens riding mowers. This is a model 927 bought new in 1986, we repowered in 2005 or so.

68bd45f6.jpg

Was working under it because the clutch needed replacement, so we were lining per the OM. Got to the drivetrain, there is one zerk.

fdd6a16c.jpg

9f9a84f1.jpg

So how does it all work? Grease only seemed to transit out to the one wheel. Is the driveshaft hollow and grease gets out to the other wheel and the gearbox? Gearbox doesn't have a fitting.

5693db73.jpg

Mower does 3/4 acre of hilly terrain every week through the season.

Thanks!

The gearbox/differential is probably sealed up with bentonite grease inside. That's pretty typical.

Why a zerk only on one side I have no idea.

I see it's a friction disk drive system. Have you had to replace the rubber friction disk much? That's typical if used on lots of inclines.

Joel

Once a year.

Interestingly, the no name one we had on has failed in a much more ugly way than the Ariens ones, which just smooth down until they start to slip.

09e68df4.jpg

724cc5c7.jpg

7048844e.jpg

c0d30a34.jpg

Yep, I've seen that with some no-name replacement disks. They just fragment apart. Some cheap snow blowers have disks with such little rubber on them, you wonder how they last at all. Same goes with belts. Some are as thin as shoestrings.

You take good care of that Ariens! For 26yrs/old the deck looks new.

Joel

jtk mentioned bentonite grease, if that isnt the answer, im sure that double ought or "00" grease is, this looks like a typical rear engine snapper set up to me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back