Are VW Jettas prone to sludge

I often see sludge in a 1.8T where the driver never uses synthetic oil. Other than that, I never see any sludging. Manual trans issues? Not that I know of. The only driveline issue I see is a failure of the RF inner CV joint. A large socket doesn't remove the axle nut, it is either a 30 point socket or a huge allen key, so you might not be able to do this without buying tools.

Originally Posted By: RangerJ
This one has a manual trans are there issues with these?Thanks
The only people I know that has the VW tranny problem is the automatic, and they tends to die at 60-70k.

JTK

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
The 2-liter engine? Never heard of any sludge issues. Oil consumption on the other hand...
+1 to that. You'll add so much oil it will never sludge. I added oil to my SILs 1999 every time I checked the stick. At one point I had to add 3qts in one shot! That 2.0L didn't skip a beat. I wish she still had it so I could see if a 40wt didn't reduce the consumption. She got tired of interior things breaking and chasing never ending CELs and traded it off years ago. Joel

Originally Posted By: JTK
I wish she still had it so I could see if a 40wt didn't reduce the consumption.
I'm running Rotella T 5w-40 in ours. It seems to consume about 1qt every 4k miles. Not too bad actually.

Originally Posted By: RangerJ
Looking at buying a 1998 VW Jetta was wondering if they are prone to sludge. Thanks for any info
The Jettas were fine. Be careful about Passats with the 1.8T engine, if they didn't get fresh synthetic oil at least every 5k miles. The sump capacity was too small for those engines. But the 1.8T in the Jetta, GTI, and New Beetle was fine